Sunday 1 May 2016

Matt Alber

Matt Alber was born in Whichita, KS (1975). He was raised and studied music in St. Louis, MO. He then moved to California, where he joined Chanticleer, a full-time male classical vocal ensemble. He left them in the mid 00s to go solo. His first album came out in 2005, but it was his next album, Hide Nothing, in 2008, that established him as a singer of note. An openly gay singer-songwriter and an icon for the bear community as well.


The leading single from the album, The End of the World, went viral. The song was Matt's last attempt to salvage his failing relationship.

Here it is:

The album also containes a song called Monarch. It's worth a listen:

His follow-up, Constant Crows (2011), mostly contained folk-flavoured music and torch songs. Here are 3 songs from this album.
The epic River:



Velvet Goldmine has the following lyrics:

I think I'd prefer if you didn't know anything special about me.
Yes, I think it's best, given my high propensity for making poetry
Out of every shooting star.

So, please, don't fall in love.
I'm not the boy you should be plucking off petals for,
Or telling secrets about.
Believe me, I really want to feel it.
This time, I really thought I could.

But just when I started to feel happy again,
That's when my heart went all to pieces my friend.
'Cause you never know what beauty you'll find
Down the Velvet Goldmine.

So, then let it snow.
Let there be tinsel all trimming the boulevard
And all those baggage claims.
I'll be at the movies. I'll have my own row at the Cinerama Dome
Handin' out miracles, givin' out angels wings
To every mother's child who knows:

Whenever you're starting to feel happy again,
That's when your heart goes all to pieces, my friend.
'Cause who ever knows what beauty you'll find
Down the Velvet Goldmine.

Maybe I'm starting to feel happy again,
Maybe these arms won't know how
To let go of him.
And are we the wise ones gathered
Confessing our fears,
Searching the stars within us
That others might hear?

There could be angels waiting to bring us the news
Of one little boy in love with the world left to choose.
Can we leave all this heartache behind
In the Velvet Goldmine?

This is a version featuring the Cello Street Quartet, recorded in 2012:


Finally, two versions of Tightrope:

This also features the Cello Street Quartet, in 2012:


And this is the Reddfield Remix, again in 2012:


His latest album came out in 2014 and is called Wind Sand Stars.
Handsome Man is found there. Here are some of the lyrics:

Hey handsome man,
What you do last night
Did you have a good time
Was the music alright?

Did you wear that jacket
With those deep blue jeans
I bet the boys went crazy
Bet you caused a scene

Cuz everyone smiles
When my handsome man walks by
..............................

Handsome man
Can I ask you this
I know we've both been loved
And we've both been kissed

But when the hounds are asleeping
And we're 93
Will you tell me
The story of you and me


The video:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.