Wednesday 25 May 2016

Marc Almond

During the final years of Soft Cell, in 1982, Marc Almond would already branch out in different directions: he made 2 records with a loose experimental collective called Marc And The Mambas. Their first album mainly consisted of covers of songs that belonged to Marc's influences: Syd Barrett, Lou Reed, Scott Walker and Jacques Brel. Here's a song by the latter, the classic If You Go Away (Ne Me Quitte Pas):

However, it was after Soft Cell disbanded, in 1984, that Marc properly launched his solo career.


His first solo album was the playfully titled Vermin In Ermine (1984). It received very good reviews, but could only make #36 on the UK Album chart. Tenderness is a Weakness is the closing song of the album. If these are his real feelings that he's talking about here, then Marc must surely have had a very complicated love life:

Tenderness is a weakness
It tears down your fortresses
Makes you easy access (and I guess that)
Tenderness is a weakness
It makes you so vulnerable
To that sick dangerous feeling
We all know as love
I cried for you
I even lied for you
I died a thousand times for you
I committed endless crimes for you
I sold my soul to some Devil
To do with what he will
Now I'll lock up my heart
And throw away the key
Love have no part in my destiny


The following year he released Stories Of Johnny, which was even better reviewed and a bigger hit (#22, UK). The title track stood out. Here it is:


Mother Fist and Her Five Daughters came out in 1987 and was another well-reviewed mid-table hit. The title was taken from a short story by Truman Capote. The title track is a feisty little number, extolling the joys of masturbation:

Well now I've been on my own for many a year
Seems like I'll never get loved
Got me a hand on this brother of mine
And I'm gonna get me the rub
Turn me the lights down to a purple glow
Put Bessie Smith on the wail
Bring me the five young daughters
And help my ship to set sail
Mother Fist never gets angry
Mother Fist she never gets bored
I don't have to feed her
I just have to need her
She cries give me the word


His next album, 1988's The Stars We Are, was possibly his best and certainly his most successful solo album. The reason that it became such a hit was a song, which originally appeared on the album in a different version: the Cook/Greenaway Pop classic Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart was originally sang by David & Jonathan in 1967, but it was Gene Pitney (one of my favorite Pop singers from the 60s), who made it a #5 hit in the UK that very same year.

Marc Almond had recorded a very good version for The Stars We Are album. They decided to release it as a single and then Marc had an idea: "Gene (Pitney) was a great singer, and a consummate professional, but he was in the cold winter of his career. I joked to EMI (Almond's label) that maybe Gene would be interested in doing a guest backing vocal of the song. Clive Black called him up, and Gene was straight there, stripped off to the waist in the studio and giving it his all." In Gene Pitney's words: "I was in the UK and my agent asked me if I would like to re-record one of my hits with Marc Almond. I was happy with that because 'Tainted Love' is a classic. I was playing in Bristol and I had to be in London for 10 in the morning to record my vocal 3 or 4 times. Then I went up north for another show. Marc's arrangement was very different from mine, so I was singing it one way in the morning and a different way that night! Our two vocals were edited together and I couldn't believe the result because it sounded so like we were standing next to each other, and I had never met him."

Almond and Pitney met up for the video at the Neon Junkyard in Las Vegas. Gene says, "It was the only place in the world where you could have a neon junkyard. It was full of old neon signs and they wired up these old signs and parts of them lit up. It freezes out there at night in the wintertime and the cameramen were wearing blankets and coats, but the record was booming across the desert and it sounded great."

So the duet was the A-Side of the single, while Marc's solo version was the B-Side. The single hit #1 in many countries including the UK (for 4 weeks), Germany, Ireland, Finland and Switzerland (it also went Top 10 in France, Austria, Belgium, New Zealand, Sweden and the Netherlands), but Pitney's record label refused to release it in America, where Pitney was from. They were afraid that young listeners who were not familiar with Pitney or Almond would think they were a gay couple. Here's the video:


After the single's success, Marc's solo version was replaced by the duet in later pressings of the vinyl album. On the CD, it was added as a bonus track.

My bonus to you, is the Greek version of the song, called Το Μυστικό Σου (Your Secret), sung by Vicky Leandros:


Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart wasn't the only notable song in the album: in fact there were many. Tears Run Rings talks about the all-consuming passion, that ends up burning everything around it and within it.


The Sensualist is a hypnotic song celebrating the cult of sensuality.


She Took My Soul In Istanbul is about his infatuation with a girl in Istanbul, or is it? We can't deny the female pronoun. Interesting lyrics:

I found myself
Down by the sea
A hundred years ago
When I was in my teens
And years go by
I turned into a man
My childhood trapped within the sand
I crawled through life
On broken glass through hell
It seems I wakened my desires
And woke one day
Wet with the sweat of fear
Wet with the sweat of fear
As now with you
I'll reveal your mother
Come to me
I'll take you to the safety of the womb
Tell me your secrets
Sorrow tears and darkness
Pour out your heart
Sorrow tears and darkness
You'll be a fool
A fool for love
And hell had never seemed so good
As when I lost my soul
Became a fool for love


His next album, Jacques (1989) is a tribute to one of his idols, Jacques Brel. In it, he does another version of If You Go Away (he had already recorded the song as Marc And The Mambas, as we mentioned earlier). Here is another song, Litany For A Return:


His first album of the 90s was Enchanted. Here's A Lover Spurned, yet another Almodovaresque melodrama:


In 1991's Tenement Symphony he was rejoined by his Soft Cell group-mate David Ball. Among the producers is none other than Trevor Horn. The album produced 3 UK Top 40 singles, Jacky, My Hand Over My Heart and his last Top 10 hit (at #4), the wonderful The Days of Pearly Spencer:


And here's the original by David McWilliams (1967), which I love:


Marc's follow-up was Absinthe, another voyage into French music and poetry, including works by Charles Baudelaire, Arthur Rimbaud, Jean-Paul Sartre, Charles Aznavour, Juliette Gréco and Barbara. The Slave was a Serge Lama song. The lyrics are steamy:

Me I'd like a black slave
With the white teeth, strong and cruel
Who'd split my shackles wide
And who'll take me to the sky
In the damp languor of evening
Me all white, and he all black
He'd bite my body, sliding
With a serpent slow...attack


We're running out of space, so I'll speed through the rest of his (always interesting) discography. From 1999, here's Almost Diamonds with Kelli Ali:


From 2001, with the help of Icelandic multi-instrumentalist, composer and producer, Jóhann Jóhannsson, here's Love in a Time of Science:


The ever adventurous Almond traveled to Russia for his 2003 album Heart On Snow, using Russian musicians and adapting Russian songs, traditional or contemporary. Here's Gosudaryunia:


His follow-up, Stardom Road (2007), was among his best solo efforts. It was an album of carefully chosen covers, the obvious (Strangers In The Night, Dream Lover), side by side with the eclectic (Stardom Road, The Ballad Of Sad Young Men). On the latter he teamed with Antony Hegarty (now known as Anohni):


Orpheus in Exile (2009) is another album of cover versions of songs by Russian Vadim Kozin, while with Varieté (2010) he was back to performing original material. This was among his most personal works and one that gay themes are clearly explored. See all the references in the lyrics as well as in the video of Lavender: it reads like a comprehensive Gay History in the UK of the 2nd half of the 20th Century.

Mauve cravat and corduroy jeans
Well we all know what that means
A halo of curls
For Satyricon girls

Our Lady of the flowers
Grows shadier by the hours
Lady Stardust, Judy Teen
In your own Moonage Daydream

Blusher smeared across your cheeks
Kohl that stayed around for weeks
Smudged on your eyes
A Biba disguise
Maybelline in shades of green
Coloured up your teenage scene
Light of fot and limp of knees
In the 1970's

Last night's panstick
On yesterday's grime
You displayed all bruises
While I covered all mine
Elusive mercurial
Effeminate ethereal
They whisper you swish by
Your eyes up to the sky
Lavender, lavender
He's got a touch of lavender
Lilac and lavender
Lavender

Heartache Noir leaving a scar
Exploring all the shades to be
Through life's black and white TV
St. Dirk of Bogarde
Showed you what to discard
So you splashed on some Brut
And lowered your voice
When Charlie was really your choice

Last nights Lurex gave yesterday shine
You held on to your sparkle
While I lost all mine
Those long drunken nights
With the misfits and rebels
Playing the angel
While sleeping with devils
Lavender, lavender
He's got a touch of lavender
Lilac and lavender
Lavender

And this is the part
Where you'd get beaten up
But you're saved by a quip
And a whole lot of luck
Frankie and Charlie have gone
Now Larry and Kenny
Once they all had a beard
Sadly now don't have any

Last night's indiscretion
Was yesterday's crime
You stayed true to yourself
But I was poisoned by my time
Elusive mercurial
Piss-elegant ephemeral
They whisper you swish by
Your eyes up to the sky

The renters on the 'Dilly
In their fake leather jackets
Say she's 'ere on the meat rack
Knowing all of the rackets
Where everything's gift wrapped
And coming in packets
Just a knock on the door to some
Club where no need to say more

Lavender, lavender
He's got a touch of lavender
Lilac and lavender
Lavender

So much there's not to say
You don't have to anyway


His next album, Feasting with Panthers (2011), was called by the "Record Collector" "a sumptuous banquet of tales of young boys and dark pleasure" and includes poetry by famous gay poets set to music by Almond and Michael Cashmore. The poets include Genet, Cocteau, Rimbaud and Verlaine. Here's The Thief and the Night by Jean Genet:


In 2014 he released three albums, among them The Dancing Marquis. The title track was produced by Bowie's producer, Tony Visconti:


His last album so far (I'm sure there will be more - the man is unstoppable), was The Velvet Trail (2015). The album received glowing reviews (79% Metacritic). Here he is, in a duet with Beth Ditto in When The Comet Comes:


Almond's voice may be an acquired taste, but there is no doubt in my mind that the man has carved a unique artistic path and like good wine, he gets better with age. Instead of letting himself become a legacy artist, content with playing his old hits over and over, or, even worse, trying to replicate the sound that made him famous, every time he travels to new and exciting directions. Even his failures are interesting.

4 comments:

  1. A bit about Marc Almond before I get to the meat of my post. I'm sorry to say my exposure to his music was basically Tainted Love so I've been listening to your selections and enjoying his songs. I like the 2 Soft Cell songs Say Hello, Wave Goodbye and Bedsitter a lot. I'm struck by how his voice changed for the covers albums. The affected quality of his 80s vocals has given way to a more smooth crooner type of sound.. Was this on purpose or just the passage of time? At any rate, I love his version of Ballad Of The Sad Young Men. Very, very nice.
    Hearing his version of If You Go Away reminds me of one of my favorite easy listening interpretations via Neil Diamond's 1971 rendition. It's from his Stones lp which is also one of my favorite ND albums. He does some nice stuff with I Think It's Gonna Rain Today and Suzanne, too.
    I wasn't aware of your Gene Pitney love but I share it, too. From the moment I heard Town Without Pity I was hooked. Only Love Can Break Your Heart, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, She's A Heart Breaker, Billy You're My Friend and the weirdly wonderful Mecca are my favorites. I'm sure you have your UK-centric joys, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your valuable input on the MA songs, RM! I believe that Marc interprets rather than sings, he's more like a singing actor than like a proper singer. I think this is the reason that he sounds differently in his Synth Pop hits of the 80s than on his more introspective later offerings. Although, when the song demands it he can still be as playful and as camp as the best of them. This is my take on your question, hopefully it's close to the truth.

      I love Neil Diamond. Practically everything that he released in the 60s and the 70s. My favorites are I Am, I Said..., Sweet Caroline, Brooklyn Roads, Solitary Man and Stones. I didn't love what he did in the 80s and 90s, but then he came back recently with three great albums: an album of originals, Home Before Dark, in 2008 a very good album of covers, Dreams, in 2010 and another album of originals, Melody Road, in 2014.

      As for Gene Pitney, we seem to love the same songs. All of the above are in my Top 10 too. I'm especially glad that you include Billy You're My Friend, which is not one of the obvious choices for a "best of" list. I'd just like to add three songs: Princess in Rags, the Jagger/Richards' That Girl Belongs To Yesterday and especially a song that he sang in Italian, called Nessuno Mi Puo' Giudicare.

      Delete
  2. I lost touch with GP during the whole English onslaught of the mid 60s so I'm not as familiar with most of his mid 60s catalogue. He had a mini chart revival with the rockin' She's A Heartbreaker in '68 but it was the follow-up single BYMF that I was especially drawn to. And with the drama of the song's story and the vocal and bombastic production, well, what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, RM. just give me drama and bombast and you have me hooked. :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.