Saturday 30 April 2016

Tom Goss

Tom Goss (30th April, 1981) was born in Illinois, raised in Wisconsin, went to the university in Missouri and then to Washington D.C. to attend a Roman Catholic seminary. He is currently residing in LA, California. He would make a great Geography Teacher.


Thankfully, the seminary thing didn't suit him. In fact it was an awakening of quite a different kind. As Tom himself said, in an interview by James Hillis for AfterElton in 2009, before entering Catholic seminary he had never experienced real sexual desire: “It just wasn’t there for me. … I had never really even had a crush in my life.” “Sitting in Mass, reciting psalms talking about how God loves you, God protects you, God blesses you,” recalls Goss “… while standing next to somebody who is actively being predatory towards me. It’s hard to listen to the gospel when it’s being read by someone who is breaking into your room, trying to sleep with you. It’s hard to see God then.” So, shortly after entry he left and began to work in the nonprofit industry. He also pursued his music, came out and soon after met his husband, Mike, whom he married in October 2010.

I first heard a Tom Goss song in a gay-themed film that I watched sometime in 2009, whose title I can't remember for the life of me. I do remember his voice, however, which was warm and interesting enough for further exporation. I managed to find his first album, Naked Without from 2006, not without difficulty.

It was his second album, however, Back To Love in 2009, which gave him increased popularity. There, we find a great romantic song called Lover. The accompanying video tells the story of an American soldier killed in Afghanistan while his husband waits at home. It stars servicemen who were discharged specifically under the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy. It's great, just watch it.

Here it is:

In 2010, a song that was specifically anti-Don't Ask, Don't Tell was released, in collaboration with Matt Alber. The song is This is Who We Are. Here's the video:


In 2011, Tom released You Know That I Love You. The video of the song documented his marriage ceremony.
Here it is:

In 2013 he released Bears, which turned out to be his most popular song. It's his hymn to this particular group of gay people, who are definitely his cup of tea, which is great. The lyrics go:

Some people think they got it right
They tell me just what I will like
A tight waste, a smooth face, their leaks 48
But they don't know me.

Let's dance with the best of me
said bears were my fantasy
Said bears is what I like,
You were all night, all right
Bears don't discriminate
I think I can .. and navigate
steal my heart and let it ..
All night, all right.

I won't explain why it's what I like
And know you can't take me, I want you tonight
It takes some attitude to rock this bed
And you ain't got none.

The video:

In 2014, he contributed three songs to and appeared in gay-themed murder mystery Out to Kill. There, he sang in character, as "Justin James". You Don't Know How Hard was one of the songs, the dance/electro beat a big departure from Goss' previous acoustic work.

The video:

Goss then released his fifth album, Wait and the first single off of Wait was Illuminate The Dark. The accompanying video features wounded war vet turned model, Alex Minsky. Some of the lyrics:

So it's true it's not forever.
Cause our bones will fall apart.
So let's take the time we have to shine,
Illuminate the dark.

Now back in bed,
Another day is spent.
Hand in my hand,
And it's alright again.
It's a simple thing,
How two souls can fit.
Forever lies in this.

The video:

In 2015 came another collaboration with Matt Alber, called Breath And Sound. Since we mentioned him, know that Matt Alber will be featured here tomorrow in more detail.

The video:

Then, a few weeks ago, Tom remade the classic Dusty Springfield hit, Son of a Preacher Man. The video is like a good gay short:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.