Monday 9 May 2016

News & Statistics #7

Hello everybody! Before we dive into the pool of stats, let me share some thoughts first. Also, a very cute photo.


I was thinking of ways to enrich the Sunday "broadcast". The past 2 weeks I uploaded (random) songs that I like. I thought that a list would make more sense, so, for the next 10 Sundays we'll be counting down my all-time favorite TV themes. The oldest began airing in the late 50's and the two latest are still on the air, with all the in-between decades covered (I didn't do it on purpose). This week, as a bonus, here's my all-time favorite cartoon theme:

The Flintstones' first episode was broadcast (in the US) on the 30th September 1960. The show, a Hanna - Barbera production, stayed on the air for 6 seasons, had numerous reruns, was nominated for an Emmy, was induced in the TV Hall Of Fame and was made into a live action movie starring John Goodman, Rick Moranis, Elizabeth Perkins and Rosie O'Donnell. Here it is:



My other thought concerns next week's schedule. Originally I planned for the first of two weeks of gay-themed music from the 80's. Then I realized that it had to be 3 weeks, there's just too much good stuff.

Then it dawned on me that next week is Eurovision Song Contest week. You can't get gayer than that. Also, Eurovision continues its attempt to become universally relevant: this will be the second year that Australia will take part and also for the first time the finals will be broadcast in the US. So, I thought that I should do my share of spreading the celebration of dubious taste around the world. I thought that I could dedicate this week to Eurovision and start with the 80s the following week.

So, tomorrow I will present the 10 songs that are regarded as the favorites for the first semi-final. The following day I'll present the semi-final itself. The next two days I'll do the same with the second semi-final. On Friday I'll present the six songs that will go directly to the final and the following day, I'll share my impressions of the final with you. Does that sound OK?

Now, to this week's statistics. I think that the newTop 10 is even more exciting than before, seeing that there are new names and diversity. Sure, the US and Greece are still #1 & #2, but the difference between them and the rest has grown considerably smaller. At #3 is a country that keeps going stronger week after week, Russia. Another country that's going strong recently, Ireland, is at #4. Trailing by just one visit, Canada completes the Top 5. Australia and Turkey are together at #6, Belgium and Vietnam are tied with Italy and the United Kingdom at #8. Brazil was in the Top 10 throughout the week, only to fall out in the last moment. The following countries also graced us with their presence: Chile, China, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar/Burma, the Netherlands, Spain, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates and Venezuela. My regards to everyone!

The all-time Top 10 is also quite exciting: the usual suspects, (the US and Greece) are still unmoveable at #1 and #2 respectively. Germany keeps the third place, but Ireland at #4, who's on a roll, may soon steal the 3d positon from Germany. Russia, who was at #7 last week, is speeding forward: for the first time, it enters the Top 5 at #5. Canada keeps position #6, while the UK, which started off at #3 two months ago has now fallen to #7. The rest of the 10 is the same as last week: France at #8, Spain at #9 and Cyprus at #10.


That's all for now folks! See you tomorrow with our first Eurovision day.

4 comments:

  1. Hello All,
    Good to see this is still going strong.
    I have been meaing to mention another blog where the writer is writing about various musical moments in Disco.
    http://joeinphilly.blogspot.com/
    I think it might be of interest to some of you here, so wanted to post it.
    Thanks for keeping a small part of our AE/Backlot around.
    Sincerely,
    GayHermit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment GayHermit! Lovely to see you here. I will definitely check out the blog that you mention. Sounds very interesting. Have a great Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Er...does this mean you're done with gay artists of the last 20 years or so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not! In fact there are more artists of the last 20 years left to present, than all the others combined. I'm just mixing things up, so neither you get tired of reading, nor I get tired of writing. I'll probably return to the 21st Century in a couple of months... Unless the mood hits me to do so earlier than that.

      Have a great week my friend!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.