Saturday 21 May 2016

Jimmy Somerville - The Communards


After leaving the Bronski Beat, Jimmy Somerville formed The Communards in 1985 with multi-instrumentalist Richard Coles. They released two albums, in 1986 and 1987, both critically acclaimed, both entering the UK Top 10 and the US Top 100.





Their self-titled debut contained their biggest hit, a Hi-NRG remake of Harold Melvin's hit Don't Leave Me This Way, their version closer to Thelma Houston's version. The featured guest vocalist was the female jazz singer Sarah Jane Morris. The song made the US Top 40 and was a big No 1 in the UK (4 weeks at #1), also #1 in Ireland, Belgium and the Netherlands, #2 in Australia, New Zealand and Switzerland, #5 in Germany & Italy and #6 in France & Spain. Here it is:





In the same album there is a slower, jazzier number called Forbidden Love. Some of the lyrics:


Stand so strong so proud

Give in to prejudice

Behind closed doors we have to kiss

But I long to hold your hand in the rain



Watching accepted lovers expressing

tenderness and joy

Makes an anger stir in me for

something I can't truly have



The video:



Their 2nd & last album, Red, had another Hi-NRG remake that became a big hit: Never Can Say Goodbye was originally a hit for the Jackson Five and then for Gloria Gaynor. In the Communards' version it reached #4 in the UK and #51 in the US. Here it is:





Another hit from the same album is the song There's More to Love Than Boy Meets Girl. Some of the lyrics:



How can one man decide the fate and destiny of innocent lovers

And why is it less of a crime to take the life of another?

Through time they've always tried to hide and cast aside this love denied

In the shadows we held each other tight

There's more to love than boy meets girl

There's more to love than boy meets girl

For love is strange and uncontrolled, it can happen to anyone



Watch it here:



Another hit from the same album, For A Friend, is an emotional ballad written in the memory of Mark Ashton, a friends of Jimmy and Richard, who died of AIDS-related complications. A verse:



Summer comes, I remember how we'd march

We'd march for love and pride, together arm in arm

Tears have turned, turned to anger and contempt

I'll never let you down, a battle I have found

And all the dreams we had, I will carry on

As I watch the sun go down, watching the world fade away

All the memories of you come rushing back to me

As I watch the sun go down, watching the world fade away

All I want to do is kiss you once goodbye.



Watch it here:



The Communards split in 1988 and Somerville began a solo career the following year. He released his debut solo album Read My Lips in November 1989, which contained three UK Top 30 hits.



A Hi-NRG remake of Sylvester's You Make Me Feel:



A remake of the Serge Gainsbourg/Françoise Hardy hit Comment Te Dire Adieu (a duet with June Miles Kingston):



And finally, an original track, Read My Lips (Enough Is Enough), which is Jimmy's outrage at the way politicians handled the AIDS crisis that was then at its peak. Some of the lyrics:



Read my lips and they will tell you

Enough is enough is enough is enough

Finding cures is not the only solution

And it's not a case of sinner absolution



So we'll fight (fight!)

For love and with pride

And we'll fight (fight!)

Standing together for the

Right to live and die with dignity



Read my lips and they will tell you

Enough is enough is enough is enough

The power within

We can use it to win

So we'll shout (shout!)

As loud as we can

And we'll fight (fight!)

'Till they meet our demands

Money is what we need, not complacency



The video:



Jimmy had another big hit the following year with a remake of the Bee Gees' To Love Somebody:





After that the hits stopped coming. Still, Jimmy continued to make music. His 2nd solo album contained Dare To Love, a great song tackling a very sensitive subject:



He remembers at 14

He knew what he wanted

He wanted a man no psychiatry

Just to be held to be told it was alright

All he got was a hospital bed

And some pills to sleep at night

In his mind were images so divine

But in his life it was a hell of a time

They locked him away

Because he dared to love

A boy with a man of his own

He wonders if anyone

Has ever heard of him

They kicked in the door

Acting like there was

Some kind of murder going on

Made their love seem dirty

Called him sick called him queer

The law was against him

He was 25 his lover 16

Couldn't believe it was happening

It seemed so unreal

But a cell 12 by 8

Made it all so very real

They locked him away

Because he dared to love

A boy with a mind of his own

He loved a boy with a mind of his own

Where is the crime, where is the crime in love

He loved a boy with a mind of his own

They locked him away

Because he dared to love

A boy with a mind of his own



The video:



A couple of years ago he released the very interesting disco-inspired album called Homage. The first single off the album was Back To Me:





Travesty was the second single from the album:





Jimmy will not give up. I believe that he will continue writing and recording classy songs for many years to come.

8 comments:

  1. I can't praise JS enough, whether it's as a member of Bronski, The Communards or on his own. All his music is amazingly wonderful and I truly wish he was as big in this country as yours and everywhere else. His genius needs to be celebrated and appreciated as much as any superstar we've got. And while his original songs are superb, I have a real soft spot for the many covers he's done. You presented some of his best but I would add one of my personal favorites - his remake of the Supremes' smash Someday We'll Be Together from 1995's Dare To Love lp. It is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM, I'm so happy that you think so! I believe that Jimmy would also be happy to hear what you're saying. I hope that he gets to read this someday. I'm listening again to Someday We'll be together. You're absolutely right, it's marvelous! I love how he differentiated his own version from the one by the Supremes: while there is optimism in the Supremes' version, there's disguised pessimism in JS's version, as in he hopes that someday they'll be together, but deep down he's not so sure.

      By the way, from one list-maker to another, the Supremes are my Achilles heel: there are a dozen songs of them that I absolutely adore, but if you ask me to tell you which I like more than the other, I'm at a loss. They're all so equally good.

      On a related subject, if you ever want to continue the Beatles' list we started a few months ago, I'll be happy to exchange lists in the comments section. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. That's Allison Moyet (of Yazoo) singing with Jimmy in the 'Don't Leave Me This Way' video. I love her voice. They sound great together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wayne, great to hear from you! It's actually Sarah Jane Morris singing with Jimmy, but I can see why you (as well as a few people on the Internet) could be confused. Her voice has an uncanny resemblance to Alison's. They don't look the same though.

      Here she is with Yazoo in 1982: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPpHLK4SHt8
      Here she is performing solo, her big hit Is This Love, in 1986, the same year that Don't Leave Me This Way was recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdAgJxdgcQ

      Especially in the second video, it's clear that it's not the same person. Thanks a lot for the comment though: this way you brought Alison in the conversation and discussing Ms Moyet is never a bad thing. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm sure that she accepts your apology, Wayne! :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with your Supremes love yianang. These days, they don't seem to be held in the same regard as other Motown acts like the Temptations or even the Four Tops. I hear a lot of "They're mostly fluff or were manufactured for white audiences. Well, I was around during their heyday and I can attest to how wrong-headed that is. They are just as much the face of Motown as Gaye, Wonder, Robinson or any of the other divine acts of that era. Here are my 10 favorite Supremes songs in no particular order:
    Back In My Arms Again
    Baby Love
    Come See About Me
    Reflections
    In And Out Of Love
    Forever Came Today
    The Happening
    Love Child
    Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
    You Can't Hurry Love
    I prefer the cover versions of a couple of songs I didn't include here: Donnie Elbert's Where Did Our Love Go and Vanilla Fudge's You Keep Me Hanging On.
    I also didn't include any post Diana Ross songs as I consider those separate entities but I do adore many of them as much as the Diana songs.
    Up The Ladder To The Roof
    Everybody's Got The Right To Love
    Stoned Love
    Nathan Jones
    Floy Joy
    Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love
    I Guess I'll Miss The Man
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    Automatically Sunshine
    Whew! I'll get back to the Beatles next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey RM! You too skirted the tough job of putting the songs in order. I'll do the same then: in alphabetical order here's my Top 10:
      Baby Love
      Come See About Me
      The Happening
      Love Child
      Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
      Reflections
      Someday We'll Be Together
      Where Did Our Love Go
      You Can't Hurry Love
      You Keep Me Hanging On

      I do like the Vanilla Fudge and the Donnie Elbert versions, but I still prefer the originals, that's why I included them in the 10.

      I like the post-Diana Supremes a lot now, but I wasn't into then as much at the time, so their songs have failed to seep into the core of my being, as the 60s songs have. Therefore, making a top ten list of the 70s period wouldn't really be of much value at this time. I've recently acquired the first two LPs of the post Diana period and I have to listen to them a few times before I really get into the songs, not just the obvious hits.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.