Friday 1 April 2016

Tom Robinson part 3

After several years without a hit, Tom Robinson hit it big again in 1983, with War Baby.



The start of the 80s found Tom bankrupt and depressed, so in 1982 he went to stay with a friend in Hamburg, Germany. He wrote this song, whilst stoned, after a bad experience at a gay sauna. The lyrics were cryptic enough to avoid being banned on the radio, so his second biggest hit was born, peaking just one place shy of the #5 peak of 2-4-6-8 Motorway, in 1983.

This is how it began:

Only the very young and the very beautiful can be so aloof
Hanging out with the boys, all swagger and poise
I don't even care what other people are there
I just stare and stare and stare

I see your shadow in the swimming pool
I see your face in the shaving mirror
Time and time and time again
I follow your footsteps so quietly up the backstairs
And I hope and I pray you ain't never going to find me there

Smooth skin and tenderness long ago on a dark night
Wish I could see you once again just to remember it was true
I wanna be still beside you - quiet and still beside you
Listening to your breathing and feeling your warmth again

Lovely video:


In 1986, the "Still Loving You" album came out and included the song You Tattooed Me. The song takes place in a hypothetical 3d World War in 1954. The lyrics:

I was stranded up in Antwerp in the Summer of '54
There were teeming streets full of refugees
And rumours of a new world war
I was waiting at the station when a newcomer arrived
You took your place and fixed me with those crazy hazel eyes...

The boarding house was crowded where I followed you in fright
You slammed the door behind us and smashed the electric light
You said 'why try to fight it?' - I could feel my racing heart
Then you nuzzled up like an animal
And you kissed me in the dark
We wrecked the bed and went, and never paid a cent
I drank the fare and never made the train
Till I was 25 I was only half alive
And I hardly knew what hit me when you came

And tattooed me... tattooed me
No, I hardly knew what hit me when you came

We shacked up in a basement after breaking down the door
With bedbugs in the blankets, broken bottles on the floor
We were penniless and hungry, having arguments and fights
I was coughing blood all winter but I'd never been more alive
And then one fatal day you volunteered your life away
While I was way too weak to be alarmed
And when I was drunk asleep as you left to join the fleet
You tattooed your name with a needle in my arm

You tattooed me... tattooed me
Tattooed me with a needle in my arm

With the peace talks in Geneva we slowly crawled away
From the brink of the unthinkable and began to breathe each day
There were rumours you'd deserted, then no more letters came
My life was wrecked but I did my best to pick up the bits again
And when I was on the mend I drifted back to Zaventem
And worked unloading cargo from a plane
I began to pay my way on a thousand francs a day
And as time went by I realised we'd never meet again

You tattooed me... tattooed me
And I knew that we would never meet again

This is the original (audio only):

This is the video from a performance in 2013:


In 1990 a collaboration with Jakko Jakszyk produced Blood Brother. Here are the lyrics:

Ben was born in Lincoln County and he grew up in the fens
Teased and bullied by his brothers in a family of ten
Sociable and easygoing - helping out around the home
While his inner life ticked on like an unexploded bomb
Just waiting for his moment

Going shopping with his mother like a whippet on the leash
Always straining at the traces - out of sight and out of reach
And anytime the house was empty he would work out on his own
Disappearing on his bike in the middle of the night
And stealing from the kitchen

Open your eyes...
Open your eyes... here I am
I'm your blood brother

Well he saved up his allowance and he studied like a slave
Worked his passage to Australia to try and make his getaway
I was single when I met him - he was bitter and nineteen
And he so reminded me of someone I used to be
A long long time ago

Open your eyes... I said
Open your eyes... here I am
I'm your blood brother

Now the years have been and vanished and I've lost a lot of friends
I do twenty at the pool then take my kid to school
Since the party had to end;

But at a benefit last Sunday we met again as if by fate
I barely recognised Ben when he grabbed me again
And whispered in my ear:

Open your eyes... he said
Open your eyes... here I am
I am your blood brother

And here's the song:


Tom Robinson is still making music today. His latest album, Only The Now, came out a few months ago. It contains collaborations with Ian McKellen and John Grant. Home In The Morning is about the narrator giving instructions to a friend or lover in order to have a "clean" departure. Here are some of the lyrics:

Hey pretty David I'm so glad you made it
Come sit over here in the light
Sorry the setting is kind of depressing
But I need a favour tonight
That laughs & parties were good while they lasted
But now that it's time to move on
I need a friend who can tie up some ends
Tomorrow I'm gonna be gone

Shred all my letters and burn all the polaroids
Throw my old mags in the trash
Empty the treasure chest under my bed
And flush every crumb in my stash
Swear on your life that you'll wipe my hard drive
Smash any backups you find
No need for my mother to ever discover
The life I'm leaving behind

Goodbye to London, so long to St Mary's
I only wish I could have stayed
You nephews and nieces I love you to pieces
But let's just call it a day
Goodbye you ravers, you movers and shakers
You lovers and brothers I've known
Kiss me goodnight as you switch out the light
Cos I'm going home in the morning

Here's the video:


From the same album, Don't Jump Don't Fall is about a teenage runaway who's dangerously on the edge. This is the first verse:

I still remember first meeting you when
You were a small blond kid about nine or ten
Your mother went missing and your father drank
For your first real home you had an aunt to thank
You came to stay when you were still quite young
You had mischievous eyes and a razorsharp tongue
Life has its interludes and this was one
As we'd pretend for the weekend you were our son
We used to pick you up when you were feeling blue
Take you out to the movies & the circus too
But nothing's forever and it couldn't last
We had our own baby, and the moment passed
If you felt betrayed, boy, you hid it well
But when I think back now I feel guilty as hell
You hit the bottle when you hit your teens
Became runaway jailbait for chicken queens

CHORUS
Don't jump, don't fall - there's a world of love out there & you can have it all

And here's the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.