Saturday 23 April 2016

Renato Zero

Renato Zero (born Renato Fiacchini, in 1950, in Rome/Italy), singer/songwriter, dancer and actor, began his career in the 60s and is still active and popular. He has sold +40m records.



Success took its own sweet time to arrive: He recorded his first songs in 1965, which were never issued. He had several different jobs, including an appearance in an advertisement for ice-cream, work as a dancer in a TV show, playing and dancing in two musicals and minor roles in two Fellini films. It was not until 1976 that he scored his first hit with the single "Madame".

From an early age, he would wear make-up and cross-dress. He replied to the criticisms he received (including the recurring insult "You're a zero!") by taking on the pseudonym Renato Zero. When the Glam Rock Movement caught up with his fashion sense, he started getting attention, although he was accused of emulating people like Marc Bolan and David Bowie. Which was ironic in its way.

Though the general consensus was that he is bisexual or gay, albeit a conservative one, who wouldn't out himself except through his art, Zero has stated that he's straight during an Italian talk-show. His image has changed through the decades, from the flamboyant, makeup-wearing transvestite of the mid-1970s, to today's somber, suit-clad icon of unspecified gender and age, his only affectation a head of jet-black hair and a thin veil of foundation and lip gloss.

Now, to his songs: Tu Che Sei Mio Fratello appeared on his 2nd album in 1974. the lyrics go (the translation is mine) "We are strong, we have a clear gaze, furthermore we have a dream. Never, never, never, do not ever betray the truth!
You who are my brother, my woman, my god.
You who live in silence, do not forget my name!
I'm here, when you sleep, when you face your fears, when you tremble like a child, I'm here!



In the same album, we find Qualcuno mi Renda l'Anima. It begins with: "Someone asked if we could play together: I will get you a red kite, if you want it. I did. (...) Two hands robbed my body of its innocence. But because it touched me, me, among so many people, I surrendered my soul."



In 1978 there was Sbattiamoci: a Euro Disco track about banging and not banging with Massimo.



In 1980, he released the album Tregua which contained Profumi, Balocchi E Maritozzi, in which he asks his mama to find him a man. He usually performed the song in drag.



In the same album, we find Onda Gay. It is one of his most direct songs. Some lyrics:

I'll show you if you want, my itinerary ...
And the black days on my calendar!
But the gay wave dyes them rose
It forcefully overwhelms everything
Years of forced captivity
Labyrinths of hope...
............................
Here, talk to me, you're not alone ...
Your Gay desire, should not be a prisoner ...
Remove the bars to your cell !!!
Yesterday you were ... Nothing!
Centuries of darkness within you ...
Only you with your desire!
And the ironic glances of those who
Dress in suits, but do not know
That the world is in color
They who dress in gray...
..............................
This is the day that you say who you are
and then your battle will be won!



In yet another song from this album, Per Te, he professes his love for a young man. He says:

I love you because you are a boy!
I love your world, whatever that is ...
I love your fragility, the sins of your age ...
I love you that you still have a poem ...  No? A game!



Finally, La Fregata (1982) takes place on a sea cruise and the singer is very fond of the ship's crew.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.