Wednesday 27 April 2016

Owen Pallett

A couple of years ago, two guys were nominated for the Best Original Score Oscar for Her, a film by Spike Jonze. They lost to the favorite, Gravity. These guys were fairly unknown to the regular Oscar pundits, but they were well known to lovers of good Pop & Rock music. One was Will Butler of Arcade Fire (more about them tomorrow) and the other was today's subject, Owen Pallett.



Owen, born in Canada/1979, sings, composes and also plays keyboards and the violin. His first two albums (out of four) were released under the name Final Fantasy. All had great reviews, especially the last three. He has collaborated with an impressive number of acts, the most well-known of those being R.E.M., Duran Duran, Taylor Swift, Robbie Williams, Linkin Park, Arcade Fire, Mika, Pet Shop Boys, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, Grizzly Bear, Diamond Rings, Beirut, Great Lake Swimmers and The Last Shadow Puppets.

He has said of his work: "As far as whether the music I make is gay or queer, yeah, it comes from the fact that I'm gay, but that doesn't mean I'm making music about it." His boyfriend, Patrick Borjal, has also been working as his manager since 2006.

His song He Poos Clouds, from 2006, is about how much less complicated it is to have a virtual boyfriend rather than a real one. But is it? Here are the lyrics:

Lazy, you lazy poet, your words are reckless, and I can't feel it
But hey, hey, all the boys I have ever loved have been digital
I've been a guest, on a screen, or in a book!
I move 'em with my thumbs, I move them with my thumbs
I write his name in nothing, he whispers to the author
That I will be the only one

Escape! Escape! This time, for real!
We fool around in the service lane
He's the only friend I have who doesn't do cocaine
And all the boys I have ever loved have been confidential
Had a broken home, or a seedy past
So I know it's gonna last
And move him with your thumbs, I move him with my thumbs
He needs, he needs my guidance, he needs, he needs my time
Though I am not the only one

He swam! To the edge of the wall of the world!
Followed my voice, and he cried
Master! The answer is maybe... Maybe not... Maybe not...
Maybe not! I have goals!
Gotta fulfill the seven prophecies!
Gotta be a friend to grandmother!
Gotta rescue Michael from the White Witch!
Gotta find and kill my shadow self
Gotta dig up every secret seashell
You may have been made for love...
But I'm just made.

Here's the video:


From 2014, Infernal Fantasy deals with the complicated subject of desire. Like Owen says:

Across the overpass it starts to rain.
We leave your father's house enveloped in flames.
Owen where were you to stop the fire?
I know no satisfaction only know desire.
My arms are tender from the summer sun.
Hallucinating as we try to make each other come.
Your silhouette a stuttering of tracers.
The rising flame reflects across our faces.

The mind is merciful in its ignorance,
For if we correlated all it contents
We'd give our bodies over to a fire
That knows no satisfaction only knows desire.


Here's the video:


2 comments:

  1. Howzit yianang? Many thanks for the intro to this very interesting and talented man. Looks like I'm gonna be spending a few hours listening to his music. The Poo song kind of put me in mind of Suftjan Stevens. I like both these songs and suspect I'm gonna like a whole lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey RM! Thanks a great lot for your comment. There is a definite resemblance to Sufjan's sound: which is great for me, because I love Sufjan Stevens. I hope that your journey through Owen Pallett's discography will be a pleasant one!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.