Wednesday 1 June 2016

Pet Shop Boys part 2


Yesterday, we spent a lot of time with the 80s output of the Pet Shop Boys. It was worth it, though. I think. Today, let's speed it up a little: We'll feature three songs from the 90s, two from the 00s and one from the 10s.


First up, from 1990, Being Boring. Featuring a very sexy video, it's one of their best songs and a very personal one for Neil: "For me it is a personal song because it's about a friend of mine who died of AIDS, and so it's about our lives when we were teenagers and how we moved to London, and I suppose me becoming successful and him becoming ill."


In 1993 they released an unexpected cover of the Village People's Go West. The song featured a tongue in cheek, impressively shot video. It was to be their biggest hit after the 80s. #1 in Germany and Ireland, #2 in the UK, Sweden, Switzerland and Austria, #5 in the Netherlands and a gold record in Australia. Here's the long version:


In 1999 they released New York City Boy. The song has become a gay club anthem. It hit #1 in the US Hot Dance chart. The video features scenes taken in Studio 54.


You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk was released in 2000. It was another UK Top 10 for them. I like the lyrics:

What a performance tonight
Should I react or turn off the light?
Looks like you're picking a fight
In a blurring of wrong and right

How your mood changes
You're a devil, now, an angel
Suddenly subtle and solemn and silent as a monk
You only tell me you love me when you're drunk

It's better than nothing, I suppose
Some doors have opened, others closed
But I couldn't see you exposed
To the horrors behind some of those

Somebody said, "Listen, don't you know what you're missing?
You should be kissing him instead of dissing him like a punk
You only tell me you love me when you're drunk

All of my friends keep asking me
Why, oh, why, do you not say goodbye?
If you don't even try, you'll be sunk
Cause you only tell me you love me when you're drunk

What's the meaning when you speak with so much feeling?
Is it over when you're sober? Is it junk?
You only tell me you love me when you're drunk


Flamboyant (2004), examines the excesses of fame:

You live in a world of excess
where more is more
and less is much less
A day without fame
is a waste
and a question of need
is a question of taste

You're so flamboyant
The way you live
You really care that they stare
And the press deployment
is always there
It's what you do for enjoyment


Finally, from the album Elysium (2012), a wistful disco tune that takes us back to the music and gay scenes of the 70s and 80s, reflecting on times gone and people lost. It's Requiem in Denim and Leopardskin.

I thought it was like a film
reviewed but never seen
where everybody played themselves
as a drama king or queen
The music was overwhelming
glittering and thin
solemn and shabby like a requiem
in denim and leopardskin

I visualised the flashbacks:
school, punk rock, success
parties, too much of everything
the clichés, the candles, the mess

Johnny's wearing brothel-creepers
Malcolm's round the block
Adam's in a Jarman film
The look is "Let It Rock"
A Johnson's leather jacket
Hair by Keith at Smile
All you need to make it big
is sex and style

This is our last chance for goodbye
Let the music begin
Shining and soaring like a requiem
in denim and leopardskin


The Pet Shop Boys' latest album, Super (they always have one-word album titles) was released a couple of months ago. It received stellar reviews and it made #1 in the US Dance chart, #2 in the Czech Republic, #3 in Germany & the UK, #4 in Switzerland, #7 in Spain, #8 in Austria & Finland, #10 in Sweden, #12 in Australia, #13 in the Netherlands, #16 in Ireland and #20 in Italy. I don't think that Neil and Chris consider retirement just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.