Sunday 5 June 2016

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)


I was still a teen in the summer of 79, during my first (and so far only) visit to California. My friends and I took a road trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco, stopping over at Monterey for a day. While at San Francisco, we also visited Berkeley. On that evening, August 31st, 1979, I watched for the first time the film that will be today's subject.


The following week we were back in LA and we watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show again, a late show at the Tiffany. I have since watched the film once in London, three times in Paris, four times on VHS and twice on DVD. I have also watched the play and I have the soundtrack, both in vinyl as well as CD, which I have listened to a few dozens of times. You'd be safe to say that I really like this film.

Only 3 of those 12 times did I view the film with the audience participation show. So, for me it's more than the cult event: it's the film itself that I find great.

So much has been written for the film, but this time I have decided not to impart second hand knowledge. What you are going to read are purely my own impressions and opinions. Feel free to disagree.

Before I get into it, I have to warn you: there will be spoilers. In my opinion, that's not important, because you will be able to appreciate the movie more, if you know a few things about it. Still, if you're one of the few who haven't seen it and you don't want to be spoiled for the story, stop reading now.

The look of the film: in a decade when films used mostly faded, de-saturated colors in yellow-greenish hues, Rocky Horror uses bold, saturated colors, sharp contrasts and lighting that exaggerates the campiness of the whole thing. The scenery and costumes have a deliberately (?) false and cheap air about them, like they a belong to a community theater production. No Academy Award nominations were to be given, but the whole thing works much better than it would with slicker production values.

The references: picking up the numerous references, both visual as well as in dialogue and song, is part of the fun in watching this film. As the film titles appear, the fun begins: two lips, in bright red lipstick, appear in black background and start singing the opening song, Science Fiction/Double Feature, a torrent of sci-fi film references. The song is coy and sensual and self assured and you'd think that it's sung by a woman - but no, it's a man: the film's first subversion. Other references, in other parts of the film: the invitation to watch a Steve Reeves movie, the Mona Lisa, the Titanic, American Gothic, Faye Wray, King Kong, Dr. Strangelove, etc, etc. Some are obvious, others are slyly "hidden in plain view". Here's the title song, for your enjoyment:


The story: the story in itself is a bagfull of references. It begins as a rom-com from the early 60s, the kind that Sandra Dee would fall in love with John Gavin. The song Dammit Janet nails it:


Then they travel to tell the good news to their college professor and mentor, Dr. Scott. It's raining, they have a flat tire and go to the nearest habitation they find, a castle that looks quite haunted:


They are let in by a weird duo: man-servant Riff Raff, with the obligatory hump, and the vampish maid, Magenta. Their entrance is quite spectacular:


I did forget to mention the narrator, Shakespearean actor Charles Gray (also Blofeld in a Bond film) who deliciously fills in the gaps.

After their introduction to tap dancing Columbia and the rest of the guests, it's time to meet the host: this is one of the two best scenes in the film: Tim Curry is truly resplendent, channeling Mick Jagger better than Mick Jagger himself.


It seems that they arrived at a special night: Their host, Dr. Frank-N-Furter is making his own creation come to life. Although it's not a monster, it's a blond hunk of a man, in a golden speedo:


There is the subplot of Eddie, played by pre-Bat Out Of Hell Meatloaf:


Then everybody retires for the night: Frank-N-Furter, after a wedding night with his creature, Rocky, visits Janet and then Brad and manages to seduce them both (he's certainly had a busy night).

Rocky escapes his chains and is found by Janet (Susan Sarandon's first starring role). Janet, her sensuality awakened, has "tasted love and wants more":


They are joined by wheelchair bound and heavy German accent carrying Dr. Scott, Brad and Janet's mentor, Eddie's uncle and Frank-N-Furter's arch-nemesis. Everybody sits down for dinner and secrets are revealed:


Then there's a chase and all the guests are shot with special laser guns that turn them into statues. They are placed on stage, then they are re-animated and the floor show begins:




The Floor Show scene and its playing out to the film's finale is a very crucial one, in my opinion. Its theme is sexual freedom. A verse goes:

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters
Of sins of the flesh
Erotic nightmares beyond any measure
And sensual day-dreamers
To treasure forever
Can't you just see it...
Don't dream it, be it

This feeling absolutely resonated with the sexual politics of the 70s, especially among the LGBTQI community.

Sadly, the feeling does not last. And this is when the film (made in 1975) becomes chillingly prophetic: the symbol of this sexual revolution, Frank-N-Furter, along with his creation/lover, are betrayed and killed by the alien servants. Brad and Janet, once innocent and now lost and torn in the turbulence of change (AIDS?) sing:

And super heroes
Come to feast
To taste the flesh
Not yet deceased
And all I know
Is still the beast is
Feeding


The narrator sums it up:

And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time, and lost in space
And meaning

Finally there is a reprise of the opening song, it is coy and sensual and self assured no more. In fact, it's sad, almost funereal. It never fails to give me goosebumps and occasionally a good cry.

Science Fiction, Double Feature
Frank has built and lost his creature
Darkness has conquered Brad and Janet
The servants gone to a distant planet


Grade: 10/10

10 comments:

  1. Good morning yianang. I enjoyed your comments on RHPS. Here are mine. I saw this movie sometime in 1977 at a University of Hawaii screening. Had never heard of it but the buzz was intriguing so a group of us attended. This was a straight, no frills presentation sans the hooplah that was soon to become part and parcel of most screenings of the film. I found it interesting enough but felt the story ran on too long and bogged down during the floor show. I also thought the best thing about the film, aside from the magnificent Tim Curry, was the musical numbers and time has only reinforced the greatness of these songs. The next time I saw the movie (1978) was in all it's audience participation glory. What a difference! The craziness of the story combined with the adoration of the audience elevated the film to a whole 'nuther level. I saw it like this several more times in the intervening years and I'd say my favorite thing was to take "virgins" and watch their own amazement and ultimate enjoyment of the goings-on. Multiple viewings have revealed the layers that can be lost the first time and I no longer find the second half tedious. In fact, Curry's solo on I'm Going Home is spectacular in both the sentiments of the song and his acting. He was simply ahead of the times and that's probably why his efforts were unjustly ignored.
    A few facts: The lips in the opening belong to Magenta herself, Patricia Quinn. The song is sung by creator Richard O'Brien. Apparently, the original intention was to parallel the Wizard of Oz and present the first part in black & white and switch to color when Riff Raff throws open the doors to the Time Warp sequence.
    Lastly, thanks for the brief mention of John Gavin who was one of my early 60s crushes. Incredibly handsome man - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening RM! Loved your comments. You are absolutely right, the movie reveals itself in repeated viewings - and it never gets old. Also agree about Curry's solo in I'm Going Home. The man should have had a much more illustrious career than he eventually did. My belief is that the system didn't know what to do with him.

      I knew that the opening number was sung by O'Brien, so I assumed that the lips belonged to him too. Thanks for clarifying that. O'Brien now identifies as gender fluid, so I read.

      John Gavin... I so agree with you. I remember admiring him in Psycho, Imitation Of Life and Spartacus. He was the go-to romantic lead in the late 50s and early 60s.

      Delete
  2. I first saw Mr. Gavin in Backstreet with Susan Hayward. Double yum! My enjoyment of Rocky has been somewhat tempered in recent years, first with Meat Loaf's Republicanism and then O'Brien's unfortunate transgender remarks. Guess age really does addle the mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: Meatloaf and O'Brien. My opinion, RM, is that cinema, being a collaborative effort with so many creative people involved, over time a few of them are bound to disappoint us. I try not to let it interfere with my enjoyment of the film itself, if I can.

      On the subject of Republicanism, there is growing fear in Europe that Trump has a good possibility of being your next president. I shudder at the thought of it. What's your take on the matter?

      Delete
  3. Sorry for the lateness in my reply sir, the damned job again! As far as Trumpty Dumpty goes, I really, truly hope his popularity is confined to Republican supporters and that after the final tally, we'll have another Democrat in the White House. I think the American media gives him too much credit and just like in the last election where polls supposedly had Obama and Romney neck and neck, we'll see a wider margin between him and Clinton or Sanders, whoever wins the Dem nom. At least, I pray to the Universe that this comes to pass otherwise I may have to move to your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I'd be more than happy to have you move to my own neck of the woods, RM, I would rather it be for another reason and not for having this bag of ego be the president of the most powerful country of the world.

      Delete
  4. Just watched Gavin and Dee in Peter Ustinov's "Romanoff and Juliet." Gavin did a short-lived western series in the '60s called "Destry" (based on "Destry Rides Again"), which has always been a personal favorite. He was later President Reagan's ambassador to Mexico. As to RHPS, I may have been the first to show it as a midnight film in the late '70s. It was initially a flop and 20th Century was reluctant to release it to me, but I kept after them and they eventually yielded. It was my habit to show films (I ran an art film theatre/disco in Fayetteville, Arkansas) at midnight, so that was always part of the plan. It made a lot of money for me in the two or three years I was in business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AFHI, that's great to know! You're part of the story then. Did RHPS catch on right away as a midnight show? Also, what was the composition of the crowd, originally? Was it as gay-oriented as it was later on? Running an art film theatre is in my bucket list of wishes that haven't come true. I'm definitely no businessman, so I'm afraid if I undertook any such venture it would certainly be short-lived.

      Have a great week!

      Delete
    2. It seemed to be a hit with everyone, but especially with the gays. The interesting thing to me was that I could exhibit it every couple of months and still make money. I had always been a big movie fan, and there were films I had seen both in the theatre and on TV, but I don't recall ever seeing a film (before "Rocky") that I felt I had to see again and again. The success of RHPS was built on repeat business.

      Delete
    3. Thanks AFHI! I thought as much, but having it verified by someone who actually helped history be made, that's important. Have a great day!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.