Wednesday 8 June 2016

George Michael part 1


George Michael was the most played artist on British radio during the period 1984–2004. Yesterday we dealt with his early career in Wham!. Today, we'll focus on his solo career and collaborations.


His first solo offering should be rightfully considered to be Careless Whisper, but since it was made in the middle of his Wham! period, many consider it a half-way Wham! single, which we featured yesterday. So today we begin with Different Corner, from 1986. Although it was credited to George Michael all over the world and Ridgeley had absolutely nothing to do with it, it did appear in Wham!'s final studio album. Go figure.

It was another luscious ballad, on the subject of how serendipity can figure in the forming of a love affair. A #1 hit in the UK, Canada, Norway and the Netherlands, #2 in Ireland, #3 in Italy, Switzerland and New Zealand #7 in the US and Germany and #16 in France.


He started off 1987 with two collaborations: one was with Boogie Box High, a project headed by his cousin Andros Georgiou. They released a cover of the Bee Gees' Jive Talkin', which went to #4 in the Netherlands, #7 in the UK, but got no action anywhere else.


The other was I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me). It was a duet with none other than the Queen of Soul herself, Aretha Franklin. I love this song and so do millions of others: it made #1 in the US, the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands and Australia, #4 in Sweden and #5 in Germany and Switzerland.


By the end of 1987, his first solo album, Faith, was released. Getting excellent reviews (4 and 5 stars out of 5 from most major critics), selling more than 25 million copies around the world and producing an amazing string of hit singles, including 6 in the US Top 5 (4 of which were #1s), the album was the best beginning to a solo career anyone could hope for. First single off the album was the lively and infectious I Want Your Sex:


Faith was next. Another great song:


This was followed up by two beautiful ballads. First there was Father Figure:


Then came the sublime (my personal favorite of this album) One More Try:


Monkey was funky:


Finally, Kissing A Fool was delicate:


The Album won the Grammy for Album of the Year. His world tour broke box-office records, but George was tired. He waited until 1991 before he released his next album...

... Which was called Listen Without Prejudice Volume 1. It was an album with largely acoustic instrumentation and a sombre intensity in many of the lyrics and melodies. The critics liked it slightly less than Faith. I liked it as much, if not more. It sold "only" around 8 million copies around the world, which is a huge number, but compared to the +25m of the previous one, it disappointed George and made the men in grey suits rather jittery. The more dance-oriented Vol. 2 was ostensibly scheduled to follow, but was scrapped for reasons known only to Michael and his record company. It was the album's disappointing sales in the U.S. that led to Michael's legal battles against his company, in which he accused the corporation of not fully supporting him as an artist. That led to a 6-year period of artistic silence.

The lead single Praying For Time, #1 in the US and Canada, was hailed by critics: Rolling Stone's James Hunter described the song as "a distraught look at the world's astounding woundedness. Michael offers the healing passage of time as the only balm for physical and emotional hunger, poverty, hypocrisy and hatred."


Waiting for That Day was a tip of the hat to my favorite Rolling Stones' song, You Can't Always Get What You Want. In fact, Jagger-Richards are given co-songwriting credit. The song wasn't a big hit, but it was an excellent song.


Freedom '90 was a gold record in the US and #1 in Canada. One of the two upbeat tracks of the album, the lyrics were personal and made the first shy attempt of a public coming out:

Heaven knows we sure had some fun boy
What a kick just a buddy and me
We had every big shot good-time band on the run boy
We were living in a fantasy
We won the race
Got out of the place
I went back home got a brand new face
For the boys at MTV
But today the way I play the game has got to change
Oh yeah
Now I'm gonna get myself happy
I think there's something you should know
I think it's time I stopped the show
There's something deep inside of me
There's someone I forgot to be
Take back your picture in a frame
Don't think that I'll be back again
I just hope you understand
Sometimes the clothes do not make the man
All we have to do now
Is take these lies and make them true somehow
All we have to see
Is that I don't belong to you
And you don't belong to me, yeah yeah
Freedom, freedom, freedom
You've gotta give for what you take
Freedom, freedom, freedom
You've gotta give for what you take
Well it looks like the road to heaven
But it feels like the road to hell
When I knew which side my bread was buttered
I took the knife as well
Posing for another picture
Everybody's got to sell
But when you shake your ass
They notice fast
And some mistakes were built to last
That's what you get
I say that's what you get
That's what you get for changing your mind
And after all this time
I just hope you understand
Sometimes the clothes
Do not make the man

The video was directed by none other than David Fincher and included top models lip-synching to the song's lyrics.


Cowboys and Angels was only successful in Ireland & the Netherlands (#15) and less so in France (#36). In 2014, George revealed that the song was about a short lived bisexual three way relationship he was in, wherein the woman had fallen in love with him and he had fallen in love with the man. It has happened before...


I was under the impression that George's solo career would take only one day to walk through, but no... There's lots of interesting stuff still to come. See you tomorrow with the rest of it!

7 comments:

  1. Revisiting these songs highlights the artistry of the man that's easy to forget in view of Wham and the sex & drugs high-jinx that followed. For those who dismiss Wham as simply a pop boy band, songs like Careless Whisper and A Different Corner (a personal favorite) should dispel that notion. I believe the ballads are where his genius really shines. I also believe they were to be his commercial downfall in that as they became increasingly somber and complex (not that the earlier efforts were simple), the fans that loved the pop of Wham and Faith began to back away. I, too like LWP more than Faith and actually found myself respecting his 90s output even as his commercial fortunes faded. Am looking forward to the second part of your article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, RM! I think you put it excellently: the audience couldn't handle the somberness and complexity of his later songs. They could take it when it was only 1-2 songs per album, as was the case in his 80s output. When these songs became the majority, which for me was a great move, the public, especially in the US, thought differently. The sex scandals played a part to his commercial downfall in the US too, I think. I won't say more on that, because I will state my opinion pretty clearly tomorrow. Have a great one!

      Delete
    2. ... In fact there are some great songs in tomorrow's presentation - among his best work ever - that unfortunately didn't get the attention that they deserved. Tomorrow's presentation is a long one, but totally worth the time!

      Delete
  2. I, too will withhold my comments about his 90s downward spiral (commercially but most definitely not artistically) until tomorrow. I even suspect there will be songs presented I'm not familiar with since his new music wasn't played as much on American radio and he kind of fell off my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of songs that I look forward to introducing you to, RM.

      Delete
  3. Listen Without Prejudice is my fav. George Michael album, and vastly underrated. Praying For Time, Waiting For That Day and Freedom are still just as fresh as they were over 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having listened to all of his albums once more while writing this, I have the exact same opinion, Phoenix. These songs are still so fresh and inviting. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.