Tuesday 22 March 2016

The Stories

In 1965, Michael Brown formed The Left Banke, an eclectic Baroque Pop band that gave us two Pop masterpieces (Pretty Ballerina & Walk Away Renee) and many other great songs. They disbanded in 1969. Soon after, his father introduced him to a friend's son named Ian Lloyd. They hit it off, both being enthusiastic Beatles' fans and soon, along with Steve Love and Bryan Madey, they formed The Stories.




Their first album from 1972 included the single I'm Coming Home, which almost made the US Top 40 (#42). Their 5th single was not originally included in their 2nd album from 1973: it was a cover of a song by British band Hot Chocolate called "Brother Louie", concerning an interracial affair. Quite amazingly, it shot to number one, both in the US and in Canada. It would be their only Top 40 hit. After its huge success, Brother Louie was included in later pressings of the album. In 2007, the first and second album were released on a single CD. Included as a bonus track was their last, non-album single called Another Love. I purchased the CD a few weeks after it was released and on first listen, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Another Love was a portrait of a bisexual man.

The lyrics go: "Baby try to understand, I know you do the best you can, but girl I think it's time you knew where I go when I leave you. Now I ain't looking to hurt your pride, it's something down deep inside, I know just where my feelings lead and you don't satisfy my needs." Included in the chorus is the phrase "I've got another love for the the other me" and finally, to clear any misunderstanding, the 2nd verse includes the line: "You're the only woman for me". So he's cheating on her and it's not with a woman. It's like something out of the soundtrack of the 80s movie Making Love.

Enjoy this rare and beautiful song:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.