Friday 18 March 2016

Iggy Pop

Whenever the need arose, Bowie would step forward and help a friend in need. If the friend also happened to be an idol of his, like Lou Reed and Iggy Pop, so much the better. I've initially planned to finish the week with these two, but have since decided that Lou Reed really needs a 3-day presentation, so he'll be with us in the near future. So, today is Iggy Pop's day.



Iggy, born James N. Osterberg, Jr. in Michigan, paid his dues in various blues bands in the 60s. His break came when he formed The Stooges and they were signed to Elektra. They released their eponymous album in 1969, produced by Velvet Underground's John Cale and it was one of the biggest inspirations for the flowering of Punk Rock, 7 years later. It sold poorly, however, as did the follow-up. That fact, combined with Iggy's increasing drug addiction, left them without a record deal. That's when Bowie stepped in: the Stooges moved to London and Bowie secured them a record deal. He also produced their album, Raw Power, to great critical acclaim, but middling commercial success. Pop, unable to control his drug use, checked himself into a mental institution. Bowie continued to support him and in 1976 they both relocated to Berlin, to wean themselves off their respective drug addictions. There, Bowie helped write and produce The Idiot and Lust for Life, Pop's two most acclaimed albums as a solo artist.

Since Iggy was a pansexual person, that spirit is also reflected in his songs: "Penetration" goes: "Penetrate, penetrate me, so fine, so fine, so fine", while in "Gimme Danger" he says: "Now if you will be my lover I will shiver insane, but if you can be my master I will do anything". (Both songs from Raw Power).

In "I Wanna Be Your Dog" from The Stooges' 1st album the lyrics go:

Ooh give it to me. Now I'm ready to close my eyes. Yes now I'm ready to close my mind. Now I'm ready to feel your hands. Lose my heart on the burning sand. Now I want to be your dog. (C'mon, I want to be your dog you know it).

I guess these lyrics can imply the involvement of either sex, but they make more sense when viewed as concerning a male-to-male relationship. It seems that he favored rough sex with a touch of domination/submission play. At least in writing.


Here's the video:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.