Sunday 27 March 2016

Jamie Marks Is Dead (2014)

Before making this, Carter Smith, who began his career in fashion photography, had made a series of interesting shorts (including Bugcrush) and a rather disappointing horror film, The Ruins. Jamie Marks Is Dead was a definite step forward.



The story: In a wintry small town, the body of a teenager named Jamie Marks (Noah Silver) is found by the river. Adam (Cameron Monaghan), the star of his cross-country team, becomes fascinated with Jamie - a boy nobody really knew or interacted with, except occasionally to bully him. When Jamie's ghost begins to appear both to Adam and Gracie (Morgan Saylor), the classmate who discovered the body, Adam is caught between two worlds. He has a budding romance with Gracie, but he also feels a deep connection to Jamie, who brings him closer to the world of the undead. The film also contains solid supporting work by Liv Tyler and Judy Greer.

The review: "Watching you run, feels like reading a poem", Jamie's ghost tells Adam. Watching this movie, I would add, is like listening to your favorite adaggio, sweet yet sorrowful. The ghosts are roaming around this small Northern US town, but people don't see them, except for the sensitive ones - teenagers Gracie and Adam. Yet Gracie chooses to look the other way, while Adam embraces them, sincerely trying to help, even when this puts his life in danger. He does indeed help, finally uttering the magic word, whispered to Jamie's lips, that allows his spirit to finally rest.  All the while, it exposes the ugliness and underlying violence in this phenomenally picturesque small town. Beautifully lensed in somber winter colors, expertly carried by Cameron Monaghan's presence/performance, this is more of a coming of age tale. Yet this is a bit of a coming out story too... even if it is post mortem.

Grade: 8/10

The trailer:



9 comments:

  1. Intriguing review, will check it out!
    On a sidenote- the comments section at TBL and NNN is gone, but Snicks doesn't seem to know it? He asks for comments. Do you know if people can be contacted someplace else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever heard of this movie but it sounds really interesting! I'll definitely check it out soon. My partner and I are big fans of Cameron Monaghan from his work on Shameless. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful film. I would recommend it to anyone who likes movies that build slowly but have a big payoff. Cameron Monaghan continues to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @afhi: I agree with you all the way!
    @ ScottD: I think that since you like Cameron, you will definitely enjoy the film, Scott.
    @anonymous: If you remove the ad block from your browser, you will be able to see the comments in NNN/TBL and make some yourself, if you so wish. I hope that you'll enjoy this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, ok, thanks for the info. Is this a new policy? Because I could see the comments just fine with the adblocker on.

      Delete
    2. I mean last week I could see them.

      Delete
    3. I think that it's a glitch in their system that they're trying to fix. Are you using a Google browser and did you update it lately?

      Delete
  5. We rented it last night. Wow! What a thought provoking and haunting end to our Easter Sunday! Really loved it. It was so sad but yet hopeful too, incredibly eerie at times. It brought to mind a bit of David Lynch and Donnie Darko. Cameron Monaghan was amazing though the whole cast was really good I thought. I did get a little distracted at times by how much Noah Silver reminded me of Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter! Anyway, again, thanks for the great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Scott! I'm so glad that you loved it! I totally agree with your assessment, the Lynch/Donnie Darko influences in particular, that was a very astute observation. Also, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that Noah Silver reminded me of Daniel Radcliffe. Have a great day!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.