Sunday 13 March 2016

Pop Music and the Gay Experience: Introduction

I start off with a list: it will concern the complicated interrelation between Pop Music and the Gay Experience. It is a difficult and daunting task and I attacked it with the zeal of an connoisseur. If you come across opinions that you disagree with - and you will - all I ask of you is to disagree with kindness. I'll be happy to discuss any and every comment you make.


I will deal with gay themed songs by (presumably) straight acts and with (preferably) gay themed songs by gay acts. There will be also longer entries, which will take 2 or more days, to deal in greater depth with influential gay entertainers or icons.



Questionable points in my methodology:

1. Distinguishing gay-themed songs: many of them are pretty straightforward, but there many (especially the older ones), where the gay content is implied or hinted at. To modern audiences, the connection may appear tenuous, but older gay people are aware that at the time those hinted breadcrumbs formed a secret trail that only they could follow. So, any song that was identified as such by even a minority of gay people at the time, has a place in this list.

2. Characterizing an act as LGBTQI: coming out was rare in the 20th Century and practically non-existant before the 70s. So, I based the inclusion on historical information (when it existed) or, in some cases, in the prevalent opinion. It's risky, I know, but it can't be helped. On the other hand, the acts that are included in the straight category are not necessarily straight. They are characterized thus, because I didn't find info suggesting that they are LGBTQI. If any one of them was your former lover, please do tell.

3. Facing the fact that a major gay artist or icon has not necessarily recorded gay themed songs: sometimes the choice of songs is obvious, but in many cases it isn't. I may be occasionally asking for your help in pointing out which songs by a certain artist are most appropriate for inclusion. I know that there are many of you out there much more knowledgable than I am.

The list will be neither chronological, nor based on the order of importance of the acts involved. It has its own internal logic: one that will allow us to go back and forth in time and be in sync with what's happening.


The first entry, coming up soon, will deal with an urban legend concerning a megagroup, which was finally confirmed by the Internet.

4 comments:

  1. Just wondering, will you eventually be getting around to contemporary artists after you've run through the classics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey RM! I am, in fact, preparing the entries for a bunch of them right now. I know it's overdue and will appear soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not trying to rush you yianang, just was curious about how far your treatise would go. In the last 10 years or so and with the internet offering a new outlet, I've discovered quite a few gay artists I probably would never have known about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RM, I'll be covering as long a period as possible, including very recent artists and songs. I have quite a few names in my list, I think it's enough to last me for about a year. Combined with the "interludes" of films and TV shows, I'd guess roughly 16-18 months. After that, if I've missed out on acts (as will obviously be the case), I'd very happy to receive suggestions from you and whoever else feels like it and I will incorporate them to the main narrative. You're not rushing me don't worry :) I could always use a little help from my friends...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.