Saturday 14 January 2017

Friday the 13th and Songs at #13

In many places of the world, it's still Friday the 13th. to celebrate the day, and since Lou Reed part 2 is not yet ready, here is a selection of songs that peaked at #13 in the UK charts, one for each year, from 1960 till today.


From 1960, here are The Everly Brothers with Let It Be Me:


From 1961, here's Bobby Vee with More Than I Can Say:


From 1962, here's The John Barry Orchestra with the James Bond Theme:


From 1963, here's Frankie Vallie and The Four Seasons with Big Girls Don't Cry:


From 1964, here's Dusty Springfield with Stay Awhile:


From 1965, here are The Searchers with What Have They Done To The Rain:


From 1966, here's Georgie Fame with Sunny:


From 1967, here are Gladys Knight and The Pips with Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me:


From 1968, here are Reparata & The Delrons with Captain Of Your Ship:


From 1969, here's Junior Walker and the Allstars with What Does It Take" (To Win Your Love):


From 1970, here's Aretha Franklin with Don't Play That Song (You Lied):


From 1971, here's Tom Jones with She's a Lady:


From 1972, here are The Moody Blues with Isn't Life Strange:


From 1973, here's Cat Stevens with Can't Keep It In:


From 1974, here's Bryan Ferry with The 'In' Crowd:


From 1975, here are Supertramp with Dreamer:


From 1976, here's Neil Diamond with Beautiful Noise:


From 1977, here's Peter Gabriel with Solsbury Hill:


From 1978, here are The Motors with Forget About You:


From 1979, here's Joe Jackson with Is She Really Going Out with Him:


From 1980, here are the Joy Division with Love Will Tear Us Apart:


From 1981, here's George Harrison with All those Years Ago:


From 1982, here are the Simple Minds with Promised You A Miracle:


From 1983, here's Indeep with Last Night A DJ Saved My Life:


From 1984, here's Gloria Gaynor with I Am What I Am:


From 1985, here are Simply Red with Money's Too Tight (To Mention):


From 1986, here are The Jesus and Mary Chain with Some Candy Talking:


From 1987, here's Boy George with To Be Reborn:


From 1988, here are Eric B. & Rakim with I Know You Got Soul:


From 1989, here are Depeche Mode with Personal Jesus:


From 1990, here are The La's with There She Goes:


From 1991, here are Massive Attack with Unfinished Sympathy:


From 1992, here are Roy Orbison and k d lang with Crying:


From 1993, here are Duran Duran with Come Undone:


From 1994, here are the Red Hot Chili Peppers with Under The Bridge:


From 1995, here are the Cast with Alright:


From 1996, here's Björk with Possibly Maybe:


From 1997, here are Metallica feat. Marianne Faithfull with The Memory Remains:


From 1998, here are the The Dandy Warhols with Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth:


From 1999, here are Suede with She's In Fashion:


From 2000, here are 'N Sync with I'll Never Stop:


From 2001, here are Janet Jackson with Carly Simon featuring Missy Elliott with Son Of A Gun (I Betcha Think This Song Is About You):


As an extra, here's the album version, which I prefer:


From 2002, here is Britney Spears with I Love Rock 'N' Roll:


From 2003, here are The White Stripes with I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself:


From 2004, here is Paul Weller with The Bottle:


From 2005, here is KT Tunstall with Other Side Of The World:


From 2006, here is George Michael with An Easier Affair:


From 2007, here are The Killers ft. Lou Reed with Tranquilize:


From 2008, here are The Wombats with Moving To New York:


From 2009, here are The Freemasons feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor with Heartbreak (Make Me A Dancer):


From 2010, here are Coldplay with Christmas Lights:


From 2011, here is Lady Gaga with Hair:


From 2012, here is Beyoncé with Love On Top:


From 2013, here is Ed Sheeran with I See Fire:


From 2014, here are Imagine Dragons with Demons:


From 2015, here is Jessie J with Flashlight:


Finally, from 2016, here are Bastille with Good Grief:



9 comments:

  1. Another one of our Oscar predictions. Today we'll deal with Best Sound Editing: probably among the five nominees we'll have La La Land, Hacksaw Ridge, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Sully, and Doctor Strange. Other contenders are Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Deepwater Horizon, Arrival, The Jungle Book, and Silence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite an interesting collection of songs John. Many from 2000 on are unfamiliar to me though I do recognize all the artists or at least most of them. There's some great stuff here so thanks for the intro. Imagine Dragon's Demons reminded me of another song with that title I was obsessed with several years ago:

    pwnPQFHkW6g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know RM, I had the complete list of every song that ever peaked at #13 in the UK, and with my one-song-per-year rule, I had to leave many big acts out. Songs by Elvis, Cliff, Diana w/wo the Supremes, Jacko, Whitney, the Stones, Dylan... I think there were songs by all the big acts except for the Beatles and Madonna. For guys in our age bracket, it was a tough decision of who to leave out from the 20th Century, and who to put in for the 21st. It would probably be the other way round for a young person.

      I had never heard Fenech-Soler's Demons before. It's good.

      Delete
  3. Good morning John! Came across these on YT and thought you'd appreciate them. More Scott Walker stuff:

    DKPGGwRjTlo

    4H-MCEncNZA

    HsCihzJ7cNU Early Kiki sighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening RM, and thanks for the Scott Walker documentary / interview / duet with Kiki Dee. They all very interesting, I wish I had them before I wrote the story. :)

      Now that you had the time to listen to this presentation's songs, I'd love to hear your remarks on them. Later!

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous list idea! I came up with a Billboard list from the 80's. These are all the songs that peaked at unlucky #13.

    1980: Pilot Of The Airwaves - Charlie Dore
    1980: You're The Only Woman - Ambrosia
    1980: All Over The World - ELO
    1981: Somebody's Knocking - Terri Gibbs
    1981: Cool Love - Pablo Cruise
    1982: Waiting On A Friend - Rolling Stones
    1982: Through The years - Kenny Rogers
    1982: Should I Do It - Pointer Sisters
    1982: Empty garden - Elton John
    1982: Making Love - Roberta Flack
    1982: Do I Do - Stevie Wonder
    1982: Love Will Turn You Around - Kenny Rogers
    1982: Shadows of The Night - Pat Benatar
    1983: Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy - Sammy Hagar
    1983: I Know There's Something Going On - Frida
    1983: Lawyers In love - Jackson Browne
    1983: Why Me - Irene cara
    1984: Language of Love - Dan Fogelberg
    1984: Tonight - Kool And The Gang
    1984: I'll Wait - Van Halen
    1984: It's A Miracle - Culture Club
    1984: I can't Hold Back - Survivor
    1985: Do What You Do - Jermaine jackson
    1985: Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid
    1985: Don't Come Around Here No More - Tom Petty
    1985: People Are People - Depeche Mode
    1985: I'm Gonna tear Your Playhouse Down - Paul Young
    1985: One Night Love Affair - Bryan Adams
    1986: Tarzan Boy - Baltimora
    1986: American Storm - Bob Seger
    1986: You Should Be Mine - Jeffrey Osbourne
    1987: Nobody's Fool - Cinderella
    1987: What You Get is What You See - Tina Turner
    1987: Jump Start - Natalie Cole
    1987: Where The Streets Have No Name - U2
    1987: I Won't Forget You - Poison
    1988: I Live For Your Love - Natalie Cole
    1988: Pump Up The Volume - MARRS
    1988: Love Overboard - Gladys Knight And The Pips
    1988: One Step Up - Bruce Springsteen
    1988: I Still Believe - Brenda K. Starr
    1988: True Love - Glenn Frey
    1988: Another Lover - Giant Steps
    1988: Finish What ya Started - Van Halen
    1989: Silhouette - Kenny G
    1989: Dial My Heart - The Boys
    1989: Cult Of Personality - Living Color
    1989: Sacred Emotion - Donny Osmond
    1989: Keep On Movin - Soul II Soul
    1989: Healing hands - Elton John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a great list Snicks! Many favorite songs in there: Empty garden, Making Love, Do They Know It's Christmas, Where The Streets Have No Name, Don't Come Around Here No More, People Are People, I'm Gonna tear Your Playhouse Down, It's A Miracle, Tarzan Boy, Jump Start, Pump Up The Volume, Love Overboard, Keep On Movin, I Know There's Something Going On, Waiting On A Friend... Not that the others were bad, it was a great decade after all. Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Amazing! Many of those songs are my favorites of the decade. Along side most of the tunes you singled out I would add Do I Do, Love Will Turn You Around, I Live For Your Love and Sacred Emotion. I loves me a little grown-up Donnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Do I Do should have been in my list too. I was planning to and then forgot.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.