Thursday 7 July 2016

Rahsaan Patterson

When I present a closeted artist, I like to follow that up with one who is clearly out. Too many closeted artists in a row give me the blues, if you know what I mean.


Rahsaan Patterson is an openly gay artist. To use his own words, from an interview with BET's Daily Voice, Patterson further clarified that "I've never been in the closet or hiding anything." Other interesting excerpts from this interview:

" When you’re a child, you don’t know what the hell is going on. Then you grow up with all these issues and with all these people who put these issues on you; and block you mentally from obtaining who you really could be. It’s an issue as Black people that we really don’t like to deal with; it’s an issue that a lot of gay people don’t want to break down.

Some people believe that they were born that way. But I’m not the person who feels like they have to justify myself or my beliefs to have people applaud me or buy my records. I’m very well aware of people’s opinions about me. Some people are right; some people are wrong. But that does not define who I am. That is not all of who I am. It’s really redundant and tired at this point."

Of the perceived homophobia in R&B, he says:

"When you come out as openly gay in the music world, you become, “Oh that’s the gay artist.” What is that about? It’s a cheap shot. Personally, I feel that it’s degrading and disrespectful, because it lessens the power of who an individual is. It’s unfortunate that we need labels – you got to be Jewish or you got to be whatever the label is."

As to whether being openly gay gives one a sense of empowerment:

"It does. I remember talking to Meshell Ndegeocello and she told me that her record label took it upon itself to market her as the “bi-sexual R&B artist.” It wasn’t about her denying it or hiding it; her sexuality was what it was. Someone’s sexuality doesn’t have to be a selling point.

I realize that people need a leader who stands for something they believe in. I get that. I just don’t choose to be that leader. If I’m going to lead anything, I’m going to lead in a way that’s going to bring us to a higher place of existence and really acknowledge how powerful we really are, and how limiting those labels can be. I’m just tired of people having issues with my sexuality.

My struggle has been to come to a point of clarification in which I can sit and articulate it and fully be conscious of how I feel about it as opposed to someone trying to catch me off guard and asking me."

Rahsaan Patterson was born in 1974 and when he was 10, he was cast as "The Kid" in TV show Kids Incorporated. He remained on the show for the next few years, appearing alongside such future stars as Fergie, Martika, Mario Lopez and Shanice. Here's Rahsaan in Kids singing True Colors:


Here's the whole cast singing Who's Zoomin' Who:


After Kids Incorporated, Patterson gained experience as a backup vocalist for several artists (including Kids co-star Martika), vocally contributing on Colour Club's self-titled album, as well as writing for other artists (his credits include Brandy's platinum Top 5 smash Baby, and Tevin Campbell's hit Back To The World).

Here's Brandy's Baby:


And here's Tevin Campbell's Back To The World:


In 1997, after signing with MCA Records, Patterson released his self-titled debut album, a very good soul album, influenced by the sound of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Curtis Mayfield in the 70s. The first single was Stop By:


His next single, Where You Are peaked at #53 in the US R&B chart:


His followup album was called Love in Stereo (1999). Lead single Treat You Like A Queen peaked at #61 in the US R&B chart:


Friend of Mine, a beautiful song, was also part of the album:


I'll Go was a non-album single from 2000:


His next album was called After Hours (2004). It was his first independent release. From this album, here's Burnin':


And here's the opening track, The One For Me:


Here's the single April's kiss:


And here's another good one, also a single, Forever Yours:


From Wines & Spirits (2007), here's Delirium:


Here's Stop Breaking My Heart (#59 US R&B chart):


And here's Feels Good (#76 US R&B chart):


His 2008 Xmas album The Ultimate Gift won a BET J award for Underground Artist of the year.

His last album so far is Bleuphoria (2011). It opened with a cover version of the classic I Only Have Eyes For You:


The first single was Easier Said Than Done:


The second single which peaked at #95 US R&B chart was 6 AM. Here it is, a live version featuring Lalah Hathaway:



Rahsaan Patterson has never become a huge star, which is probably not what he wanted anyway. He spent his whole life making good music and being admired by his fellow musicians. As an out gay black musician. Respect.

10 comments:

  1. THE KID! Even as a wee Phoenix watching Kids Inc., something pinged watching him. That may have been my first active Gaydar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an excellent gaydar, Phoenix! Isn't he just lovely singing True Colors?

      Delete
  2. Yes! And he and Martika were always great together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently heard a song of Mr Patterson. and now I just can seem to listen to enough of his music...Your a AWESOME Artist ....Im Loving it.I will be out looking for a CD or two .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Started exploring his music 1 week ago & find my days craving more & more. His sexuality doesn't define his talent馃槏

      Delete
  4. Whaaat? Have ALWAYS loved Rahsaan’s music and never realized he was shining star from Kids Inc (which my children watched all the time). Super talented and underrated and the new CD is no different - best work yet...Catch Me When I Fall!!!! He must be in love to create this masterpiece the whole CD is amazing!!! AND had the NERVE to remake Luthers Don’t You Know That! It brings tears to my eyes!!!! Luther would be PROUD!!! An incredible remake....like I said he must be in a beautiful space to create art such as this!!!! Don’t stop I love your music and support you endkessly❌⭕️❌⭕️馃幍馃幍馃幍

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m not concern with who one has consensual sex with or who one loves.. I love music I can’t believe how I missed him. Since introduce to Rahsaan I can’t stop listening! Smooth, mellow, sensual, romance candle light type totally makes me feel right!! My favorite right now is Spend the night. I hope one day I can see him in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When i hear that singing voice of Rashaan i don't see color nor gender nor culture..I hear a sweet sound of love..i feel things waking up in me that can't keep still inside..I love his music no matter who he is..God Bless Rashaan Patterson..you have a wonderful gift

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.