Wednesday 6 July 2016

Freddie Jackson

Every time that I researched a black gay artist who's deep in the closet, the Baptist Church came up. Do you think that there's a connection?


Freddie Jackson was born in Harlem, NYC, in 1956 and was trained as a gospel singer from an early age, singing at the White Rock Baptist Church of Harlem. (Oops!) There he met Paul Laurence, who would later become his record producer and songwriting partner. After completing school, Jackson joined Laurence's group LJE and played the New York nightclub scene. During the early 1980s, Jackson moved to the West Coast and sang lead with the band Mystic Merlin, with whom he released three studio albums. Their first album was called Mystic Merlin (1980). From this album, here's Just Can't Give You Up:


The following year their 2nd album was released, called Sixty Thrills A Minute. From this album, here's Haunting You:


Their last album was Full Moon (1982). From this album, here's Mr. Magician:


After Mystic Merlin didn't work, Freddie Jackson returned to New York to work with Laurence. He also served as a backing singer for Melba Moore.

In 1984, Jackson landed a recording contract and released his debut album, Rock Me Tonight, 1985. It was an immediate hit: it made #1 in the US R&B chart, #10 in the Top 200 and went platinum. The first single, with the same title, was also a smash: #1 in the US R&B chart and #18 in the Hot 100.


The second single did equally well. You Are My Lady made #1 in the US R&B chart and #12 in the Hot 100.


Jackson issued the follow-up, Just Like the First Time, in 1986 and it too was a platinum seller. It was preceded by yet another R&B #1, a duet with old boss Melba Moore called a A Little Bit More:


Just Like the First Time contained 3 US R&B #1 hits. The first was Tasty Love:


The second was Have You Ever Loved Somebody:


The third one was Jam Tonight. It was also to be his last US Top 40 (#32):


The third album, Don't Let Love Slip Away, also a #1 in the US R&B chart, went gold. It contained two R&B #1s. First there was Nice 'N' Slow:


Then there was Hey Lover:


His fourth album, Do Me Again, would be his last #1 R&B hit and his last gold record. It too contained two R&B #1s. First there was Love Me Down:


Then there was the title track, Do Me Again:


He had 2 more singles at #2 in the R&B chart, the last one in 1992. But the fact was that he was on a downwards trajectory. He changed record companies, twice, but it didn't really help. He was now a legacy act, giving nostalgia concerts and playing his old hits. During the 2nd half of the 80s, however, he was R&B royalty.

Throughout his career, he was followed by strong and persistent rumors that he is gay. Once it was reported that his car was found parked outside a gay bar. What convinced many people that he is indeed gay, was an interview on TV's Unsung, about 5 years ago. When asked whether he was gay or not, his replies were: “I’ve never had to explain myself to my mother” and “God will judge us for who we all and what it is that we do.” There were also his thoughts on labels: “I don’t like labels.”, “We’re all human beings.” and “You don’t have to label anyone’s life.”

Are these answers, plus the fact that he pings everybody's gaydar, enough to classify him as gay? Each one should give their own answer to that. This is what he had to say on the Orlando massacre (from his Facebook page):


"The events that occur all over the world that take away our sense of safety and pride in who people are how they want to live are true definitions of terrorism, and specifically yesterday's tragic shooting in Orlando has left my heart heavy. Regardless of the origins, we are all together on our collective journey on this world. To all who have lost their lives and have been affected by this heinous and ridiculous event, you have my sympathy. For all the world, I pray."

10 comments:

  1. I hope your readers don't take my thoughts on the subject of the black church experience as racist. I myself am a mix of Caucasion (Scottish, English & German), Hawaiian and a smidge of Chinese but have escaped prejudice - for the most part - due to my "white" appearance. I also was a captive of the Mormon religion until I was old enough to put my foot down and defy my mother's wishes.
    Blacks, by & large, seem to be steeped in religion and a particularly virulent, anti-gay one at that. Just look at what goes on in Africa if you have any doubts. In the States, religious belief is worn like a badge of honor by many black Americans - lots of thanking Jesus at various awards ceremonies or sporting events and inclusion of belief in God as the primary aspect of turning one's life around when misfortune strikes. I wasn't raised under the same circumstances so I can't offer up any pertinent reasons why so many follow these teachings but I do know ignorance and religious fervor/intolerance when I see it.
    This is a long-winded way of saying I'm struck by how off my radar so many of these gay black artists were compared to white ones like Elton, Bowie, the two Georges, etc. I grew up listening to many of these folks and really don't recall the whispers about their sexuality the way their white counterparts were talked of. Maybe it's because I'm not in the black community but I'd wager it has more to do with religion and shame playing a larger role in their lives. Even in these days of greater acceptance of gays, black artists seem reluctant to identify as homosexual. Frank Ocean is a great example of a popular new black artist who danced around the topic at first before accepting the label. Even then, he's usually referred to as an "out", gay performer.
    I just can't wait for a time when the adjective "gay" is no longer necessary to define an artist as if it plays a big role in their talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very thoughtful comment, RM. I too am a mix (English, Greek, Cypriot and Italian) and I have lived in various different places in my lifetime. Although I never felt discriminated against, I never felt a sense of belonging either, neither in country nor in religion. Also I never had a group mentality - I picked my friends individually rather than belonging in a "company" or a "gang" or whatever. So it's hard for me to understand the meaning of peer pressure. Religion in particular baffles me. I can accept it as being a system of emotional support, but when it goes out of its way to be cruel and unreasonable, then I have no sympathy for any of its components.

      Having said that, I have great respect for people who come out in places of the world, where society and/or religion threaten their very existence. These are our heroes.

      Delete
  2. You're right yianang, these people are heroes and like many who've worn that mantle, too often pay for it with their lives. Religion often talks of the sanctity of life but neglect to add the phrase "As we see it".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, RM, couldn't everybody embrace "live and let live"?

      Delete
  3. MOTHER GODDESS Creatress / Creator of one and all, LOVE, LIVE, FREE WILL CHOICE...OUR DIVINE INHERITANCE. We ARE gods, BE happy, BE Creators,BE safe and aware!
    DISCARD the REligions, BURN their 'got us dammed' Books, KILL Bigoted Judgement.
    Joannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Religions that spread hate should be outlawed, Joannah. They are responsible in making so many people unhappy, even causing suicides. It is unacceptable. As you correctly say: Love, Live, Free Will, Choice. These are values worth fighting for...

      Delete
  4. Religion has ruined many lives with falsehoods and trickery. I attended a Freddie Jackson, concert in Oakland, Ca, on 8/3/2018. Freddie had to tell the audience numerous times he had lost over 100 lbs. I also attended this venue with a Caucasian male, also a fan of the artist. It was like a sad poor Church audience led by a Jesus that never existed based on the Council of Nicea. The crowd was in shock of the weight loss. The older so called Alpha Black Males not all seemed put off by Freddie Jackson feminist characteristics. Too bad many can’t see through the false religious dogmatic folk lore. Blacks/Afrikaans are naturally spiritual peoples. To except such bigotry towards others for being themselves is hypocritical and many are in the closest that can’t find their way towards being themselves. The first writer at the top is on the money. I work in San Francisco, California. And I still here dumb folks speaking about who is gay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very astute observation, my friend. I respect everybody's right to believe in their God, as long as they don't they don't try to shove them down my throat. Historically, religions are to blame for much of the ugliness in the world - and especially nowadays, everybody is aggressively supporting their set of beliefs at the expense of the beliefs of others. It's the kind of atmosphere that historically preceded the great wars. I hope that this time it won't happen...

      Delete
  5. If a person is straight or gay who r we to judge them the same GOD created all of us.just continue to pray for everyone live an let live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always believed that Freddie is guy doesn't bother me still loves his music also thought Luther was gay but it didn't affect my love for his music

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.