Thursday 10 May 2018

Eurovision Song Contest 2018: 2nd Semi-Final (presentation)

It is time to present the songs that will take part in the second semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest, taking place in a few hours. Let's begin!


The country opening the show today is the second semi-final's favorite, as well as the second favorite overall. Also, Norway's Alexander Rybak is the only former Eurovision winner taking part in the competition this year. His offering, That's How You Write A Song, is a tight, funky number accompanied by a very cool video. If Rybak's performance tonight is as good as his video, I'd say that his chances of winning the competition will be plenty. It will surely proceed to the final.


Next up is Romania with the Humans and the song Goodbye. I saw the song low down on the oddsmakers' lists and I expected not to like it. But I actually like it - a lot. The female lead singer is very good, giving out Pat Benatar and Melissa Etheridge vibes. There is also an interesting use of strings. I really hope that the voters warm up to the song and send it to the final.


Serbia is next. Sanja Ilić & Balkanika is the act and the song, sung in Serbian, is called Nova Deca. It's another attempt at ethnic music and I think it's misguided. I will agree with the oddsmakers here, this won't proceed to the final.


Then comes lilliputian San Marino. Jessika (feat. Jenifer Brening) sing an utterly forgettable pop song called Who We Are. It won't make it to the final.


The next act is Rasmussen from Denmark and the song Higher Ground. The oddsmakers are pretty sure that it will make it to the final. Personally, I wasn't too impressed with this anthemic rock-lite tune. Not bad, but I wouldn't call it great, either...


Following Denmark is Russia. Julia Samoylova is singing I Won't Break. It's pop-dance by the numbers, but it's professionally done - and Russia has a lot of friends. I wanted to like this more, for all the Russian friends reading our blog. Also, I wanted to like it less, because of Putin's anti-gay stance. In the end, I've decided to just be objective about it. Will it go through? Maybe...


Moldova is next, with a rather pleasant little ditty called My Lucky Day, performed by DoReDos. I think that it will make it to the final.


The Netherlands' entry follows. Waylon is the artist and the song is called Outlaw In 'Em. The last thing I expected was to hear Southern Rock in Eurovision, but there you go. It probably stands out enough to make it through to the final.


A central European country called Australia is next. Jessica Mauboy, also known as the Australian Kelly Clarkson, sings an upbeat pop song called We Got Love. As is the case with the Russian entry, not really my kind of music, but it's pleasant enough to probably move on to the final.


It's Georgia's turn and its representative is the Ethno-Jazz Band Iriao with the song For You. Frankly, it's a snoozefest. I don't see it making the final.


Next comes Poland. Gromee feat. Lukas Meijer sing Light Me Up. It's a nondescript pop tune with an occasional bright moment. Will it make it to the final? I'm on the fence about that.


It's Malta's turn: the song is called Taboo and it's performed by Christabelle. The video begins spookily before it settles into conventionality. It's not a bad effort, a pop tune with a message. It has a chance to make it to the final, but Christabelle will have to be very impressive tonight in order to do so.


Eurovision, maybe due to an obscure EU directive, has to have a token metal act each year - and if they're theatrical enough, as with Lordi in 2006, they can win. This year it's Hungary's AWS with Goodbye Summer, a song inspired by the death of the lead singer's father ("I'm washed out and weary / You're still holding on” he sings, bleakly). It's surprisingly listenable - even helped by a dodgy key change at the end - although it's such an anomaly compared to the other acts, it does feel a bit like Hungary's right-wing government shouting: "No one likes us, we don't care." I think that it will probably make the final.


Laura Rizzotto from Latvia is next - and the song is called Funny Girl. It's a pleasant indie-pop track and the singer is interesting enough. But then again, so was Sennek from Belgium, but she didn't proceed to the final. Will Laura? She has a chance, albeit not a great one.


Sweden offers Benjamin Ingrosso, a former child actor/singer, and a cousin of Swedish House Mafia band member Sebastian Ingrosso. Dance You Off gives off Bruno Mars vibes, in a not unpleasant manner. I believe that it will make it to the final.


Montenegro is next, giving us a Balkan love ballad that is too old-fashioned to really register. I don't see it making it to the final.


Slovenia goes EDM with Lea Sirk and Hvala, Ne, sung in the local language. It's also old-fashioned and will probably not proceed any further.


The last country to appear on this semi-final is Ukraine. Lots of friends from Ukraine (Hello, Ant!). Melovin sings Under The Ladder - and I quite like it. It's a beat-driven song and the young man singing is very pleasing to the eye [photo above]. I think that it will proceed to the final.


Now, let's present the rest of the "Big Five" that will go straight to the final: Germany's entry is a slow ballad sung in English called You Let Me Walk Alone. Michael Schulte's video is stripped-back and raw. In the end, he declares: "You let me walk this world, alone." I actually like this one a lot and I hope that it does well.


The duo representing Italy, Ermal Meta and Fabrizio Moro, feels more politically-driven, and the singing has a fast-paced urgency. The song is called Non Mi Avete Fatto Niente and it's also good. I can imagine this one being a grower that niggles away in your mind long after the competition.


Finally, for today, Amaia y Alfred are representing Spain with the song Tu Canción. The duo, who are also romantically linked in real-life, sing a song that has a soulful feel, and a romantic vibe. It works and I see it doing fairly well at the final.


Before I leave you, here are my predictions for the countries that will proceed to the final: Norway, Sweden, Moldova, Hungary, Denmark, Australia, Ukraine, the Netherlands, Russia, and Poland are most likely, but I also single out Romania, Latvia, and Malta as possible spoilers for one or two of these three: the Netherlands, Russia, or Poland.


We'll know more tonight. I'll be back after the show to share my impressions with you. See you then!

8 comments:

  1. JOHN great!!! Are you member of the jury? 8/10 BRAVOOOOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ant.
    - Hello, John. I'm very sad - because I really liked the song of Montenegro, which did not go to the final. My other favorites are Denmark, Hungary, Moldova, Serbia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ant and welcome to our family of commenters! I am sorry that your favorite failed to make the final, but I'm glad your other four favorites did. Four out of five isn't too bad, is it? Also, your own country is in the final, I guess that's another positive point. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
    2. Ant.
      Hello John. Yes, it's probably not so bad - but I like the song of Ukraine less than the song of Montenegro. This is unfair. Songs such as Montenegro rarely appear on Eurovision and deserve more attention and more respect from the audience. Have a nice weekend, John!

      Delete
    3. Hello, Ant. It is indeed an unpleasant feeling when the song that you're rooting for doesn't make it to the final. It also happened to me, a few times. I try not to let things that depend on other people's decisions affect me, because I have no control over them. I just move on. Goodnight to you!

      Delete
    4. Ant.
      TNX. Good night and pleasant dreams to You - John!

      Delete
    5. Thank you, Ant! Pleasant dreams to you too...

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.