Friday 27 May 2016

The Smiths part 1



Like them or not, the Smiths were the best British band of the 80s. For Q magazine, they were "the one truly vital voice of the '80s", "the most influential British guitar group of the decade" and the "first indie outsiders to achieve mainstream success on their own terms". In a 2002, NME named the Smiths the "most influential artist ever". They managed to do all that with only four studio albums, all of which are of a special interest to us.


The Smiths were formed in Manchester, UK in 1982. They were Morrissey (vocals), Johnny Marr (guitar), Andy Rourke (bass) and Mike Joyce (drums). The band's focus on a guitar, bass, and drum sound, and their fusion of 1960s Rock and Post-Punk, came in sharp contrast to synthesizer-based Dance Pop, the prevalent style at the time. Marr's guitar-playing influenced later Manchester bands, including the Stone Roses and Oasis. Morrissey and Marr's songs combined themes about ordinary people with complex, literate lyrics delivered by Morrissey with a mordant sense of humor.

Their first album, simply named The Smiths, came out in 1984, had a half-naked Joe Dallesandro on the cover (from Andy Warhol's film Flesh) and was excellently received by the public and critics alike. The public sent the album at #2 in the UK charts (it stayed on the charts for 33 weeks).

The reviews were stellar: Slant Magazine listed the album at 51 on its list of "Best Albums of the 1980s" saying "There's no reason why a mordant, sexually frustrated disciple of Oscar Wilde who loved punk but crooned like a malfunctioning Sinatra should've teamed up with a fabulously inventive guitarist whose influences were so diffuse that it could be hard to hear them at all and formed one of the greatest songwriting duos of the '80s." Rolling Stone magazine ranked the album at #22 of the 100 greatest albums of the 80s, as well as at #473 of the 500 greatest albums of all time and at #51 of the 100 best debut albums of all time. UK's The Guardian placed it at #73 of the 100 best albums ever.

The first masterpiece of the album is the closing track of the A-Side, This Charming Man: the overtly homoerotic song, which deliberately uses archaic language, so as to deliver itself from epochal constraints, met with unanimous praise. The reviewer in The Face asked, "Where has all the wildness and daring got to? Some of it has found its way onto The Smiths' record, 'This Charming Man'. It jangles and crashes and Morrissey jumps in the middle with his mutant choir-boy voice, sounding jolly and angst-ridden at the same time. It should be given out on street corners to unsuspecting passers-by of all ages."

The groups appearance on UK's TV show Top Of The Pops was an instant sensation. Although as a single it only made #25 in its original run, it made #8 when it was re-issued in 1992. Here are the great lyrics:

Punctured bicycle
On a hillside desolate
Will nature make a man of me yet?

When in this charming car
This charming man
Why pamper life's complexity
When the leather runs smooth
On the passenger's seat?

I would go out tonight
But I haven't got a stitch to wear
This man said "it's gruesome
That someone so handsome should care"

Ah ! A jumped-up pantry boy
Who never knew his place
He said "return the ring"
He knows so much about these things
He knows so much about these things


Their first ever single, however, was Hand In Glove. It only charted at #124 on the regular UK Singles chart, but it made #3 on the UK Indie chart. A few months later, none other than one of the top female singers of the 60s in the UK, Sandie Shaw, recorded a cover version with The Smiths (minus Morrissey) as her backing musicians. This version reached #27 on the UK charts.

The lyrics were more veiled than in This Charming Man, but they were gay-themed nonetheless. Here they are:

Hand in glove
The sun shines out of our behinds
No, it's not like any other love
This one is different, because it's us

Hand in glove
We can go wherever we please
And everything depends upon
How near you stand to me

And if the people stare, then the people stare
Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care
Kiss my shades, oh

Hand in glove
The good people laugh
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we've something they'll never have

So, hand in glove I stake my claim, I'll fight
To the last breath
If they dare touch a hair on your head, I'll fight
To the last breath

For the good life is out there somewhere
So stay on my arm, you little charmer
But I know my luck too well
Yes, I know my luck too well
And I'll probably never see you again

Here are The Smiths, live in Glasgow, 1985:


Here are The Smiths with Sandie Shaw:


The third single off the album, What Difference Does It Make?, was their most successful at the time. It made #12 in the UK as well as in Ireland. Yet another great song. The lyrics:

All men have secrets and here is mine
So let it be known
For we have been through hell and high tide
I think I can rely on you
And yet you start to recoil
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
But still I'd leap in front of a flying bullet for you

So, what difference does it make?
So, what difference does it make?
It makes none
But now you have gone
And you must be looking very old tonight

The devil will find work for idle hands to do
I stole and I lied, and why?
Because you asked me to
But now you make me feel so ashamed
Because I've only got two hands
Well, I'm still fond of you, oh ho oh

So, what difference does it make ?
Oh, what difference does it make ?
Oh, it makes none
But now you have gone
And your prejudice won't keep you warm tonight

Oh, the devil will find work for idle hands to do
I stole, and then I lied
Just because you asked me to
But now you know the truth about me
You won't see me anymore
Well, I'm still fond of you, oh ho oh

But no more apologies
No more, no more apologies
Oh, I'm too tired
I'm so sick and tired
And I'm feelin' very sick and ill today
But I'm still fond of you, oh ho oh
Oh, my sacred one

Here's the official video:


More on The Smiths tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.