Wednesday 27 December 2017

The Eligible Songs for the coming Oscars - part 1

Hello, everybody! Since this is a festive week, I thought that we could deviate from the blog's usual format. So, no more Disco for a week. Instead, since we've officially entered the Oscar season and everybody is trying to predict which will be the nominations, I thought that we should get in the game ourselves. Over the next few days (and I plan to post every day) we'll hear all of the Oscar-eligible songs that are available and I'll tell you which are the more likely to be nominated. I spread out the favorites throughout the week so that every day will be interesting.


We begin with my personal favorite, Mystery Of Love, written and performed by Sufjan Stevens, from the film Call Me by Your Name. It's a surefire nominee and the second favorite to actually win, which I hope that it does. I haven't seen the film yet - I plan to within the next few days. I'll probably love the song even more after watching it. Here it is, for your enjoyment:


This is not a favorite to win, but it has a good chance to make it to the top 5 nominees. It's the late, great, Chris Cornell, with The Promise, from the film The Promise:


World Gone Mad, performed by Bastille, is from the Will Smith vehicle, Bright. It only has a slight chance to be found in the top 5 come nominations' day:


Captain Underpants Theme Song, performed by Weird Al Yankovic, from Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie, is not altogether without a chance:


U.N.I (You and I), performed by Geoffrey Moore, Naya Rivera, and Ronan Keating, is an eligible song that has no chance of being nominated. It appears on the obscure satirical documentary And The Winner Isn't and is nowhere to be found on youtube. You can catch it on Spotify if you so wish. Moving on...

She, another song that doesn't really stand a chance, appears on the documentary Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story. It, too, is nowhere to be found.

Another song that we probably won't be seeing in the top 5 is Love And Lies (also known as Love Is Lying), performed by Zoe Lister-Jones, Adam Pally and Fred Armisen from the film Band Aid. The song begins halfway through the video:


It's a pity that the movie The Book of Henry was so badly reviewed, otherwise Your Hand I Will Never Let It Go, by the fabulous Stevie Nicks, might have stood a chance. This is for you, Snicks:


Now Or Never, from the upcoming movie Bloodline: Now or Never, is also eligible, but I don't see it making the top 5. It is performed by David Longoria featuring April Diamond, here:

If I Dare, performed by Sara Bareilles in the film Battle of the Sexes, stands a better chance than the above four:


The Breadwinner is a very well-reviewed animated feature which is one of the favorites for the Animated Feature Oscar. The song The Crown Sleeps, written by Mychael Danna & Jeff Danna, could make it to the nominations, but that's not very likely:


Remember the O'Jays? Here they are, feat. Eddie Levert and Walter Williams with the song Buddy’s Business, from the movie Brawl In Cell Block 99. Not really a contender. Listen to it here:

A rather depressing and badly-reviewed film about schizophrenia, Elizabeth Blue, contains three eligible songs. All In My Head and Green cannot be found online, but Dyin' For Ya by actor/singer August Roads is on youtube and is a nice song. Don't expect for it to be nominated though:


I will bookend today's story with another eligible song from Call Me by Your Name: Visions of Gideon, also written and performed by Sufjan Stevens, is as good as Mystery Of Love. In my ideal list, they would both be nominated. It stands a good chance, but if only one goes through, it will be Mystery Of Love. This is Visions of Gideon:



Hopefully, I'll be joining you again tomorrow with more songs. Let me know in the comments of your thoughts on the ones presented today. Bye!

2 comments:

  1. I like so much Chris Cornel's "the promise"! I hope it can make it to the nominations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great song Efie! I too hope it can make it to the nominations. Have a great evening!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.