Wednesday 23 August 2017

Small-town Songs

Having just returned from a 3-day holiday last week, it seems that I haven't found my groove yet; I was planning to write a proper artist presentation today, but, after spending a considerable amount of time on Facebook, I don't feel disciplined enough for the research that goes into writing that story. So I thought, why not an extra? As I was eating, I had this song about a small town in my mind, then I thought of another, and then another... So today's story is dedicated to those who have lived or are still living in small-towns, anywhere in the world. Some of the songs we've already presented, others not. So here's a photo from my 3-day holiday - and on we go!


The very first song presented on this blog was about a small-town boy who went to London to get gay sex. C*cksucker Blues was by none other but the Rolling Stones - and if you care to read about the song's interesting story, just click on its title.


While the above song is a lesson in small-town lust, the following song is a lesson in small-town angst: Smalltown Boy by the Bronski Beat is another song that we've already presented, just click on its title to learn more.


This is the extended version:


Here's an interesting remake by Kate Ryan:


It was also covered by Paradise Lost:


Smalltown by Lou Reed & John Cale was written for Andy Warhol. It too was presented: just click on its title to learn more.


Cindy Incidentally by the Faces is about a young couple leaving their town because there's nothing to do there; everybody has already left. It was also presented: just click on its title (again) to learn more.


Then there were those who enjoyed living in the country. Country Comfort speaks of such joys. It was also covered by Rod Stewart (of the Faces), but today we'll listen to the original version by Elton John, which was not presented when we spoke about Elton. Still, if you want to read what I wrote then, you know the drill; click on his name.


Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run is among my 10 all-time favorite albums. The album opens with Thunder Road, where a young man, fed up with his small town, decides to embark on an adventure to the unknown, to which he invites his girlfriend to join him: "So Mary climb in, it's a town full of losers and we're pulling out of here to win!" This is the last song of those that were previously presented, so, seriously, click on Bruce's name.


The Band is one of my favorite bands. Their take on rural America ranges from the mystical to the mythical. Caledonia Mission tells the tale of an outsider arriving in the eponymous mission finding love and then losing it to mysterious powers:


The Weight is the tale of an outsider arriving in the small town of Nazareth, where he comes across a number of strange people. It's their best and most famous song:


John Mellencamp specialized in writing such songs. In fact, he even wrote a song titled Small Town:


Then there was his biggest hit, Jack & Diane, "two American kids growing up in the heart land":


I don't know if Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd qualifies as a small-town song, but hey, I wanted to hear it again:


Let's go further back in time, with Gene Pitney and Town Without Pity:


Then there's this gem from the 80s, Life In A Northern Town by Dream Academy:


Here are some contemporary songs on the subject. First, comes Sam Hunt's Break Up In A Small Town:


Then there's Dustin Lynch with Small Town Boy:


Here's Small Town by Morcheeba:


Luke Christopher also sings about a SmallTown:


... And then there's Small Town by Hoodie Allen:



I'm sure you can think of a lot more such songs. You can mention them in the comments' section if you feel like it. Hopefully next time I will present the story that is actually planned to be presented. Till then...

4 comments:

  1. Simon and Garfunkle: "My Little Town." Had to mention it. I like any thread that invites us to listen to "Town Without Pity" again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Little Town, of course. A very fitting example. I was counting on you thinking of other songs, Alan. Good morning!

      Delete
    2. I am jetlagged and suffering from plantar faciitis, which is not to mention still reeling from the Trumpster news back home in the States. All is well (relatively).

      Delete
    3. I do hope your plantar fasciitis will go away soon Alan. Surely the jet lag will. As for DT, one can only hope...

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.